Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
will you be able to rehome a 1 year old pigeon at a new home thats a good
30 miles away if lock in for 6 weeks :confused:
not likley, if it has been flown at the pre owners.....how long you have been around here and did not know this!:p:)...it is risky to "rehome" homers that is why they call them homers.:)

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
i gave them to someone and they would like to fly them i was just checking twice
Well, then the question would be, if the bird showed back up at your house, would you call the new owner and let him come get it? and WOULD he come get it? I would expect that the bird WILL come back to you, especially since you're so close, and if he can't break it to his loft after a few times, then he needs to quit trying, IMO. But he needs to understand that if he tries this, he may have to make a few trips to retrieve the bird.
I gave a man some of my birds and he had them for about 7 months, then turned them loose and 2 of the 3 that were homed here to my loft, returned home from about 150 miles. I gave another guy some birds and one day, after almost 2 years, one of them escaped and showed up here and he's about 40 miles away.

·
Registered
266 Posts
today I rehomed a homer female :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Its possible, I use to buy 1 yr olds and loft fly and road toss, they settle in my place. If its a 2 yr old I don't think you can rehome......

·
Registered
266 Posts
Its possible, I use to buy 1 yr olds and loft fly and road toss, they settle in my place. If its a 2 yr old I don't think you can rehome......
homer that I rehomed today is a 04 hen :)

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
It is possible to rehome older bird like 2 years old. It is just risky. For example, I was the third owner of 1 pair of older birds. I was able to rehome them, but scared me the first time I turned them loose. They went somewhere right away and the cock flew/routed for 30 minutes getting farther and farther. I thought I lost them.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
today I rehomed a homer female :)
yes just TODAY and maybe she will be around the next day or a month or a year, I have heard stories of "rehoming" but alot of times they think they are successfull only for something to click in the birds head for some reason perhaps a week or even a year from then and they take off for home, but you usually don't hear from the folks that has happend with, you only hear they "rehomed" the bird, not the other part. these rehomed birds have a likley hood of flying the coop at any time, just don't always know when.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
yes just TODAY and maybe she will be around the next day or a month or a year, I have heard stories of "rehoming" but alot of times they think they are successfull only for something to click in the birds head for some reason perhaps a week or even a year from then and they take off for home, but you usually don't hear from the folks that has happend with, you only hear they "rehomed" the bird, not the other part. these rehomed birds have a likley hood of flying the coop at any time, just don't always know when.
That's very true. I had a stray show up here back in 2003. The owner didn't want it back and I had a very small OB team (9 birds I think?), so I kept it. Let it mate up to a hen,...let them raise babies, trained it to trap into MY loft, loft flew it for a couple of months, took it on training tosses, etc......then one day, we took the birds 10 miles and released. Not only did that cock never come back here, neither did my hen (his mate)............so, it might work, it might not.........just never know.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Well....Here's my take on all of this....

I have several pairs of birds I purchased from a guy in Ramona. They were 1 year old. I know in my heart of hearts that if I were to let them out they COULD go away if they so desired. So....they stay locked up this year and are making me ALOT of babies that I KNOW won't go away because they don't know anything else. So after the breeding season is over...I will try the older birds SEPERATE from the babies. IF they don't return..well I know where they went and I will give the guy a call and tell him merry christmas.....BUT I have my babies to carry me on into infinity.

I figured that's just the way it goes.

·
Registered
790 Posts

That is true. I've rehomed many OLD BIRDS.. the oldest being an 04. The ones I've rehomed last year i have tossed as far as 50 miles as a group or sometimes even as a single. But this year I've had a cock that I thought I had rehomed. He actually escaped from the loft and disappear then returned a few days later. Since it returned I've been loft flying him. Then one day while loft flying with the flock... I've noticed him flying alone then never to return. I also had a hen do the same.. and she was setting on eggs....

I've have a few more prisoner birds but as much I want to get them rehomed I don't want to risk losing them. I'd rather breed a few clutches then maybe I'll take the risk...

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
If the bird is too valuable, keep it as prisoner.

With James scenario, 30 miles is not that far so they probably can work it together.

I agree that when something clicks on those pigeon heads, they will go if they want to.

·
Registered
22 Posts
yes, yes you can

I've "rehomed" several birds that I've acquired, and at this point I've got a better success rate with this than training youngsters!! But I've got a bad record with the young ones. If you don't mind, trim the bird's wings, the first 5 primaries or so, very short. Try not to clip the secondaries, that way the rough tips of the shafts won't rub agains his/her side. Do this on both sides; the bird will be quite flightless. Let him/her walk around under supervision until he/she no longer tries to walk home, and by the time his/her feathers grow back, he/she will be homed to your house and fully trainable. another way is to pull out the feathers rather than clipping, it's faster and in the end easier; just make sure none of the feathers have blood in the bases (developing feathers) and firmly pull them out by the base.

I'm not sure if this is the easiest or best way to do this, but that's how I've retrained 5 or 6 of my older birds. It works well, I just hate taking their flight away. It's your decision.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've "rehomed" several birds that I've acquired, and at this point I've got a better success rate with this than training youngsters!! But I've got a bad record with the young ones. If you don't mind, trim the bird's wings, the first 5 primaries or so, very short. Try not to clip the secondaries, that way the rough tips of the shafts won't rub agains his/her side. Do this on both sides; the bird will be quite flightless. Let him/her walk around under supervision until he/she no longer tries to walk home, and by the time his/her feathers grow back, he/she will be homed to your house and fully trainable. another way is to pull out the feathers rather than clipping, it's faster and in the end easier; just make sure none of the feathers have blood in the bases (developing feathers) and firmly pull them out by the base.

I'm not sure if this is the easiest or best way to do this, but that's how I've retrained 5 or 6 of my older birds. It works well, I just hate taking their flight away. It's your decision.
just saying that i have done it that way before and it worked it does bring back momeries

1 - 18 of 18 Posts