Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought some homers about 3 months ago but have not flown them because I figured that they would just rehome to their original loft.
My ? is, is there a point where they will no longer rehome to their original loft and home to their current loft?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Hogan

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How old are these birds? Were they flown and/or raced at their previous home?

Sorry, I do not know the answer to any of your questions.
They do have leg bands but I do not know the year on these bands at the moment.
They are still young enough that they are laying and producing chicks.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Well then, that sounds like they have some age on them. Turning them loose is an iffy situation. If they're laying eggs, then they've GOT to be at least 4 months old. Do they have all different color bands? If so, then I think you've got some older homers, as in 2 or 3 years old. If that's the case, the chances of them taking off for home goes WAY up. How far would that be? If you could go get pick them up if they decided to go home and bring them back, then you might try it, but if you're talking a long ways, then personally, I wouldn't try it.
IMO, you'd be better off keeping these guys prisoners and flying their babies.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
If they are old enough to breed, it is iffy. But it all depends. They could have been a month or two old when you got them, and after three months of being locked up, are now laying eggs....or....they could have been 4 or 5 months+ when you got them, and have been laying eggs....which now they'd be 7 or 8 months. I have rehomed birds up to 5 months old by keeping them in for that long, with an aviary so they could see the place. But those birds were never flown from their previous loft....so that does make a difference.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
You can resettle/rehome them, but because you are not sure, I think it is better if you just keep them as prisoners and fly their babies. Rehoming/resettling is very risky. It is not guaranteed. If your birds are laying eggs, then are already adults and strong on the wings. If you don't resettle them right, they can just take off and be gone.

Is there a point where they will no longer rehome to their original loft and home to their current loft? Unfortunately the answer to this will come clear when they stay after you release them. My experience of rehoming adult birds tells me about a minimum 1 month before they semi-forget their old home. But they might still attempt to go back to the old home. So your option plan could be the following:

1.) keep them as prisoners and fly their babies.
2.) after their babies are now settled, you fly those prisoners (after resettling them).
3.) resettle these birds now and take the risk. But prepare to cry when they don't come back.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts