Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are all aware that animals are reported to have homosexual tendencies. Laboratory rats have been observed committing a sexual act with a same sex colleague. They also kill each other given the conditions in which they live. Dogs also are accused of copulating with a fellow dog (as opposed to *****) and indeed dogs will hump a human's leg, this by both dog and ***** on male or female. Apparently this is a sign of domination.

But what of pigeons in particular. I noticed one of my boys nibbling the neck of the other, which I took to be grooming. Is it though? I have not witnessed any acts of buggery and if I did I feel I might be embarrassed to the point where I might say: ''not now lads, you'll frighten the horses.'' I make no judgment on homosexuality and whether it be human animal or non human animal, as long as it is consenting and does not harm others I feel they should bugger away and bugger (figuratively speaking) anyone who does not like it.

There is evidence that there is homosexuality in pigeons but to what extent? Here is one report.
https://www.quora.com/Are-there-gay-pigeons
Are there gay pigeons?
3 Answers
Emma Reeves
Emma Reeves
Answered Jul 22 2014
I have observed homosexual behaviour in my own pigeons. Typically this seems to happen when there are unequal numbers of the sexes in the loft but I have had a pigeon that displayed a distinct preference for mating with other males. Separating him from his mate simply resulted in him bonding with another male (pigeons are serial monogamists - if they are separated from their mate or their mate dies, they will form another pair). If given fertile eggs from another pair, the homosexual pair successfully raised chicks.

·
Banned
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We have a pair of bonded females who happily sit on nonfertile eggs together.
I balk at branding them lesbians because they might be happy as friends, enjoying one another's company.

I don't suppose you can tell if one is more dominant than the other in a butch sense? I'd be interested to know.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Tracy is more dominant than Lucy and sometimes bosses Lucy around when one first lays an egg. However, i just move the nest boxes and dishes around and she stops. I dont think they are lesbians, just friends. They sit together and groom one another.

·
Banned
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tracy is more dominant than Lucy and sometimes bosses Lucy around when one first lays an egg. However, i just move the nest boxes and dishes around and she stops. I dont think they are lesbians, just friends. They sit together and groom one another.
That's what I meant, they may just enjoy companionship and I didn't want to imply one stereo-typically wore steel toe-cap working boots, dungarees, smoked a pipe and drove a tractor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts