Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I would appreciate honest comments about the following bird and its pedigree, as I am just a babe in the woods compared to all of you. Thanks, Don.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Yeah I seen this as well. I think its a beautiful bird and has a great looking pedigree. When you see such a good looking bird, you have to ask yourself, what will it be used for. Breeding Im sure and if so, how far back are the proven birds?

For me (Im sure for alot of others) I like to see the proven birds as close up on the bird Im buying. Looking at this birds pedigree all but one (Heidi), have been bred for STOCK. Now when you breed this bird to your own, you now only have a small percentage of those pre-potant genes in the offspring you have just produced.

Is it to be bred for more STOCK or are you willing to test and race out the offspring? After all is said here today, you will be the one to make that final call. :)

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
Yeah I seen this as well. I think its a beautiful bird and has a great looking pedigree. When you see such a good looking bird, you have to ask yourself, what will it be used for. Breeding Im sure and if so, how far back are the proven birds?

For me (Im sure for alot of others) I like to see the proven birds as close up on the bird Im buying. Looking at this birds pedigree all but one (Heidi), have been bred for STOCK. Now when you breed this bird to your own, you now only have a small percentage of those pre-potant genes in the offspring you have just produced.

Is it to be bred for more STOCK or are you willing to test and race out the offspring? After all is said here today, you will be the one to make that final call. :)
I must agree, the bird is pretty, and there are some impressive birds way back. But, also too many "Bred For Stock" for my taste, unless this bird was raced, I personally would pass. Breeding boxes are just to hard to come by at my lofts, to pass over good race birds, in order to give such a bird a chance.

·
Banned
2,389 Posts
I would mate her to 2-3 of my best Cocks-move her eggs--pump her---Hope some of the Genes "click"----get a few very good off-spring

·
Registered
164 Posts
If you like the sure bet lines. I prefer getting something closer to supercrack 699. In the pedigree, there is no race result to back up the sure bet birds except the fact of the birds being off of sure bet lineage and bred for stock. I myself really never did seen a sure bet offspring that appealed to me. They look to tall and skinny and have skinny beaks and wattle. But when you look at 699's offsprings they look different and bigger wattle and nicer structure. But this is my view.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
This is a line-bred bird perhaps used for stock purposes. There are a lot of flashy names in the pedigree, but they go back too far. Also, like Warren said, unless the bird has compiled one or two good race years, perhaps you'd be better off passing on it.

FYI, there was a really really nice hen that was on pigeonauctions last week. She is a direct daughter of 720. I think she closed at almost $600. That's a steal!

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
In my opinion the best bird in the pedigree is the OHF bird that has produced decent race birds. I would give it a try if given the bird. Cross in with my bloodline, race the offspring and see what they do. Now the Sure Bet Name will bring a price I probably would not pay unless the bird has its own good race record. I still have reservations on whether Sure Bet is the real deal. Any bird without a race record or breeding record is always a gamble.

Randy

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I have only been into racing 2 years but already realize the importance of race records. This is a beautiful bird but I would not pay the shipping if someone was to give it to me. I don't know if you are going to race of not but if you are you will need birds that can do the job. Peds are worthless if the birds can race well. I have alot of pedigrees but most would make good toilet paper and thats it. JMO

1 - 10 of 10 Posts