Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i have a 6 year old female rescued pigeon, with a crippled wing and she is housed in a large coop with a 9 year old male pigeon. they seemed to get along well for a while in fact they seem to enjoy each-others company quite a bit. i don't want babies so i usually put dummy eggs in my pigeon's nest when she lays eggs.

but i've noticed the male doesn't even seem interested in mating, he likes her and preens her but doesn't reciprocate any time she shows interest in mating. i don't think there's anything wrong with that but there is a problem arising with how my female pigeon is behaving about it.

when he doesn't reciprocate she often gets frustrated and starts pecking at him and has even started to pluck his feathers out, so he has feathers missing on the back of his neck and the base of his tail. it is really worrying me because i don't want him to be hurt

what can i do to stop this? is there some way to make her less frustrated? to get her to stop attacking him when he doesn't show interest? he has plenty of room to get away from her but he just doesn't i guess.

she is very obsessive about nesting, she lays at least 2-3 eggs every month, and constantly sits on them during that time, i think she is still eating and drinking normally but im worried whether or not her behavior is healthy and what i can do if it's not

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Why is separating them not an option?:confused:

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
That was my question.

Are you sure she is pulling the feathers out? They do preen each others face and head, so if she is doing that, then that is normal. Maybe the loss of feathers are from something else. However, if she is actually hurting him, then I would separate them. Maybe a little break and he will be more interested in mating. Maybe he's just tired of sitting on eggs that don't hatch.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i never said separation was not an option. i was just asking if anyone had any idea why she is acting the way she is.

yes i know for sure that she is plucking his feathers out because i have seen it myself.

i will separate them but what if that does not fix the problem should i keep them separated forever or what

he has never once showed interest in mating

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
The is no way we can tell you what she is thinking, or why she is doing that. But sometimes separating does help. Sometimes not. Of course if it doesn't fix things, then you would have to separate for good.
Are you certain that they have never mated? How can you know that? You can't be watching 24/7. Maybe she is just tired of him, and you should get her a real mate.

How large is their enclosure?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The is no way we can tell you what she is thinking, or why she is doing that. But sometimes separating does help. Sometimes not. Of course if it doesn't fix things, then you would have to separate for good.
Are you certain that they have never mated? How can you know that? You can't be watching 24/7. Maybe she is just tired of him, and you should get her a real mate.

How large is their enclosure?
it's very large i don't remember the demensions.

one, i guess they could have but i've literally never seen him reciprocate and i have checked on them often since i work at home

she is not tired of him, she shows affection towards him, she just gets frustrated when she is in the mood. i don't really know what you mean by real mate honestly

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
it's very large i don't remember the demensions.

one, i guess they could have but i've literally never seen him reciprocate and i have checked on them often since i work at home

she is not tired of him, she shows affection towards him, she just gets frustrated when she is in the mood. i don't really know what you mean by real mate honestly

She may be tired of him. She may just be showing affection to get him to mate.
By getting her a real mate, of course I meant a real mate..........One that actually wants to mate.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts