Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I took both of my pigeons, Noah and Brutus out on a walk and after walking for 10 mins we sat down to rest of the steps of a church. Brutus who has no tail feathers due to being wounded by crows as a baby was on my arm and I started petting him. When I pet him he usually flies a few feet away and does a little cooing display. This time he flew off he went to far and ended up in the road in front of a car he flew out of the way of the car but as he was about to turn and come back a coopers hawk dove out of a tree and began to pursue him it chased him down a block and I chased after them. The hawk was very close behind him and they were only a foot or two from the ground. As I sprinted after them Noah got scared from the whole thing and flew the opposite direction. I have been looking for both of them for hours and haven't found them. What do you think are the chances that a pigeon with no tail feathers was able to escape a coopers hawk? I was so stupid to freeflight him with no tailfeathers. I guess this is the end.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Oh I am really sorry to hear about this incident. Hope they both are well. I can understand how one can feel in this terrible situation but pls don't get disheartened, you do great to save pigeons.
Though it is tough for a bird without tail to escape from predators but you can't say for sure. May be when Brutus was trying to avoid hawk, something else drew hawk's attention and Brutus escaped, you never know.
I have been standing in hot sun for two days to look for my flown bird and I understand how stressful it is. I really wish you get them back. Have they imprinted on the area where they live so they might return?

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
That is why we tell people over and over not to take their pet birds out in the open to free fly. The hawk more then likely had lunch, and unless you find him the other won't last out there either. I will never understand why people take birds outside, and then are surprised when they fly away and get into trouble. They should have a safe enclosure that they can go out into. Why would you think that they wouldn't some time take off? There is always the first time. But that's all it takes.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Sorry about your loss. We have all made mistakes and paid the price but that's the way we learn. Hopefully he escaped and will find enough ground food and water until his tail feathers grow back.

·
Registered
899 Posts
sorry about what happened, you should go on a high building terrace or something from where you can see all surrounding and look out for them. they shouldnt have gone too far. hope they are safe.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh I am really sorry to hear about this incident. Hope they both are well. I can understand how one can feel in this terrible situation but pls don't get disheartened, you do great to save pigeons.
Though it is tough for a bird without tail to escape from predators but you can't say for sure. May be when Brutus was trying to avoid hawk, something else drew hawk's attention and Brutus escaped, you never know.
I have been standing in hot sun for two days to look for my flown bird and I understand how stressful it is. I really wish you get them back. Have they imprinted on the area where they live so they might return?
I would believe that they both would know how to get home I take them out often and they are always exploring around my house and on my roof. I will go back out to look for them after school today. I am praying I find them

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I am praying for them too.

·
Banned
569 Posts
Today I took both of my pigeons, Noah and Brutus out on a walk and after walking for 10 mins we sat down to rest of the steps of a church. Brutus who has no tail feathers due to being wounded by crows as a baby was on my arm and I started petting him. When I pet him he usually flies a few feet away and does a little cooing display. This time he flew off he went to far and ended up in the road in front of a car he flew out of the way of the car but as he was about to turn and come back a coopers hawk dove out of a tree and began to pursue him it chased him down a block and I chased after them. The hawk was very close behind him and they were only a foot or two from the ground. As I sprinted after them Noah got scared from the whole thing and flew the opposite direction. I have been looking for both of them for hours and haven't found them. What do you think are the chances that a pigeon with no tail feathers was able to escape a coopers hawk? I was so stupid to freeflight him with no tailfeathers. I guess this is the end.

That's a bummer, but avoidable. Common sense says don't let out pigeons that are handicapped or that you want to keep from predators. If you are willing to take the risk then you need to be ready for the consequence . I take chances with my flock as they are kept in a loft, but I have 45 pigeons that are homing pigeons which stay home and are robust and athletic . Plus they are savvy to predators. They fly very high as a flock for protection and it works well. With just two outside that would be noticed by a hawk, esp this time of year as they are on the move and not raising young. Hard lesson this is. I hope you get them back to a safe situation.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts