Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have any problems with predators and don't have any prisoner birds so i've been leaving my loft open while I'm at work. I've lost a few birds the past month since and was wondering why. I figured it was the neighbor's cat until I got a call today from my nephew and he found our dog eating one of my bird....

It was shocking news..... I never did she her attack my birds whenever I'm in the backyard and there was never a sign or remains like feathers around her house... Could this be the first time or all those birds that gone missing was due to her????...

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Grown up birds will fly out of th loft seeking their original place, its common. In case u bought them from another person there is a good chance they would fly back to "home". All said, an open loft according to me is not a good idea when left unattended. A cat a dog, believe me a mouse also, if have access to a loft which is unattended can cause chaos. Currently I cant comment if its th first time the dog caught th pigeons, bcos if th dog just caught it and played the "game" at a location far, u wont get to see the feathers in any way. So I would like to tell that an unattended open loft is a bad idea with these "players" around

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear about the predator and your birds having become victims, sometimes we have to learn the hard way that you can't leave the birds alone in open loft even with long time pets- no matter what, they have certain instincts and you can never trust them alone. Dogs do hunt birds.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
she might of been just eating the left overs or scared the cat away and got the bird..so you really do not know for sure, unless your there to keep an eye on things...IMO leaving a loft open unattended is the real problem waiting to happen not the dog,... no matter if it is a cat or dog or raptor or snake......it will be one or more of those things to get at your birds, even if you say you do not have preditors.....everyone does.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
I'm so sorry about your birds.
I don't free fly my birds at all, but I would think an open loft is not a good idea especially if your not around to watch.
I don't know what breed you have but some breeds, no matter how well behaved they are, should never be trusted around small livestock or birds. I have a lab that I trust completely, but I also have a chow that I would never trust around the birds. She doesn't bother the birds in the flight cage or cages in the house, although she will sit and watch them.
Some breeds were bred for hunting predators. I don't mean retrievers and pointers, these breeds hunt "for us". The breeds I'm referring to are most of the terrier breeds (especially Jack Russell and Rat Terrier), schipperke, chow chow, and even the Boston Terrier (which is not a terrier at all) has a "killing" instinct. Anything "quick moving" will catch their eye, instinct will kick in, and they will take out after it. It's not their fault, its what they were originally bred for. But owners of this type of breed (including me) should be aware of their killing potential. Alot of the horse barns in my area have Jack Russell's "patrolling" their barns for just that purpose (rats and mice).
Some of these breeds hunting tactics are very sneaky. Chows are known to be one of the sneakiest! They will wait and watch, many times with their backs turned letting the prey get close to them, then they'll pounce. And Jack Russell's with those short little legs are quick and can jump quite high!
I'm sorry this happened with your dog. But now you'll have to be extra careful with her, making sure the birds can't get within her reach. She got 1 (that you know of), she will do it again :(

**sorry this is so dragged out, but I'm sure most of us have dogs and I just thought this was a perfect opportunity to make people aware of their dog's potential, and save further heartache.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'm sorry for the loss of some of your birds.

Deep down, buried in our domestic house pets there is and always will be a prey drive that is going to come out if it is triggered.

I have two german shepherds who are a regular part of my daily chores caring for our flock of free range chickens, and of course the pigeons. Both of them are good, well trained dogs, and know that the birds are part of our pack. But that is not to say that I can trust them.
They will lay in the middle of the flock of chickens all day and pretty much ignore them. But on a few occasions I have seen a chicken dart in front of them, and they just grab the bird. They drop it right away and look confused as to what just happened...but that one second is all it takes.
No matter how trust worthy we think they may be, instinct trumps all. It's not a conscious decision. No matter the cutesy haircuts and gentle natures, every one of them began with a wolf.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm thinking that my birds got near her (Labrador-Pitbull mix) food dish and she grabbed them cause she hates sharing her food. I'm getting her a kennel to keep her away from my birds. I have another dog which is a terrier- chihuahua mix and I can trust him to leave them alone. I used to leave him in the loft along with the birds all day and my birds would even lay next to him almost appearing to be cuddling up.

When I do an unattended open loft whether I'm at work or it's my day off, I usually leave the aviary doors and trap door open which is about 7 feet high. I've done this many times in the past, I used to just lock up my prisoner birds in the individual breeding pens but i no longer need to since I've re homed them. I guess I gotta keep an eye on them and maybe add a surveillance camera.

Also when I take them for a toss, I usually just leave the trap door open and no one is home to watch them come home.....

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I'm thinking that my birds got near her (Labrador-Pitbull mix) food dish and she grabbed them cause she hates sharing her food. I'm getting her a kennel to keep her away from my birds. I have another dog which is a terrier- chihuahua mix and I can trust him to leave them alone. I used to leave him in the loft along with the birds all day and my birds would even lay next to him almost appearing to be cuddling up.

When I do an unattended open loft whether I'm at work or it's my day off, I usually leave the aviary doors and trap door open which is about 7 feet high. I've done this many times in the past, I used to just lock up my prisoner birds in the individual breeding pens but i no longer need to since I've re homed them. I guess I gotta keep an eye on them and maybe add a surveillance camera.

Also when I take them for a toss, I usually just leave the trap door open and no one is home to watch them come home.....[/QUOT

well some one should be... the point Iam trying to tell you is the dog is not the problem...you are doing things backwards, the pigeons should be locked up and protected when you are away and the dog let go to do what he is used to if he is in a fenced yard, why lock the dog up? the pigeons are the ones who need protecting... you think your dog is the only preditor around then you just are in denial. really why would you want to risk it, sounds like you take your birds out for tosses anyway so they get exercise, why is it so important to you they are out when your not there. I just don't get it.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well some one should be... the point Iam trying to tell you is the dog is not the problem...you are doing things backwards, the pigeons should be locked up and protected when you are away and the dog let go to do what he is used to if he is in a fenced yard, why lock the dog up? the pigeons are the ones who need protecting... you think your dog is the only preditor around then you just are in denial. really why would you want to risk it, sounds like you take your birds out for tosses anyway so they get exercise, why is it so important to you they are out when your not there. I just don't get it.

You're right... I'm on denial.... I just hate keeping them locked up most of the time. I do have 2 jobs so my birds stay locked up most of the time. I figured since I have no prisoner birds anymore; I'll keep an open loft in between days I'm not able to let them out. Sometimes I keep them locked up for over a week and they all get lazy flying when I do let them out.

I'm already keeping them locked up since the incident. We chain up our dog ( Labrador- Pitbull mix) when no ones home since she sometimes hop out of the fence and start cruising around the neighborhood going as far as 5 blocks away. She knows the area since I walk her around the block when I have time but the Terrier -chihuahua mix remains loose and also gets out somehow and remains around the house and just hangs out in the garage. I'm still getting the kennel for her.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts