Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted about 1 month ago about my son's pet pigeon being chased off by a hawk. She never returned, however we did not find a pile of feathers anywhere. We're hoping she made it back to where we found her a couple of years ago, but that's not what this post is about. We found someone kind enough to give us a young racing pigeon (male). They said he's only a year old. About 2 weeks later, someone wanted to give my son a German Owl Pigeon (female) also about a year old. Is it okay to put them in the same loft? Will/can they mate?

Thank you

·
Registered
463 Posts
They can be kept together and they will mate also. Both would have to stay in and not let out as the homer would most likely go back to it's original owner and the owl is more of a show bird not a flying breed. If you want to fly birds it would be best to get young homers or other types of flying breeds like rollers or high flyers. If you just want to keep some pigeons and not let them fly they and any other pigeon breed would be fine together. Hopefully your son's pet found his way back home.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, White Homers. Looks like I'll be building another loft. I don't mind them procreating, but I know it can get out of hand quickly, LOL. I would assume there wouldn't be many people wanting a cross between those 2 birds, so we'll have to keep the multiplying under control.

We hope she made it home too. Probably not more than 3 miles from our home "as the crow flies", or pigeon. :)

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Although the mixed offspring will make nice pets, you are correct in that nobody else will likely want them (except for questionable purposes). However you might consider getting them each a mate of their own breed, that way you could always more easily sell any extra offspring, and you could perhaps enjoy showing or flying them.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Although the mixed offspring will make nice pets, you are correct in that nobody else will likely want them (except for questionable purposes). However you might consider getting them each a mate of their own breed, that way you could always more easily sell any extra offspring, and you could perhaps enjoy showing or flying them.
That's a good idea.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Either way, you will need fake eggs. Whether it be to not get mixed birds, or to keep the numbers down. When they lay, you just change out the eggs for the fake eggs. They will hopefully sit on them for the time that it would take to hatch eggs. If you just pull the eggs, that will just make her lay right away again, which will in time, deplete herself of calcium. Then she will have many health problems, including egg binding. So you need to get some fake eggs before they start breeding. The solid plastic eggs are usually better. Pigeon supply places sell them. You can even get them on ebay.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Like most have said here its better to give them their own breeds mates and fake eggs are really helpful in keeping the number under control. and the best thing about the breeds you have is they both can coexist with each other and are kept as droppers when the racers come back from their flights.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.