Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
can somebody tell me what to do?
if it's shipped out on wednesday lets say and i recive her on friday how do i know she wont die in the box from either being hungry or being dehydrated
and what are the best way to ship baby pigeons???
is there a way for me to get her the same day.
we are in the same state.
even the next day isnt 2 bad?
if its mailed on wednesday and i get her thursday thats fine im not too worried about that, but what if baby becames weak during the trip/
what are the best boxes to ship the birds in?
i will appreciate any info u have to offer
im just little anxious about it.. i want her to be ok

·
Registered
145 Posts
more then likely the bird will be fine! sometime a bird might die if its really hot or something when you ship. but not im PA
if you are too worried they the only think that you could do is pick it up yourself! just goin out on a limb and sayin that you can drive across PA in 6 hours? just a guess. i drive a F150 and that is only one full tank of gas. $50 for a tank. i bet you pay that for shipping and its going to take 2-3days.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
i dont have a car. and some friend said he would drive me but he wants 200 dollars, 100 dollars from pit to philly and back, plus the toll and plus he said he would like to relax in the hotel after drive .. yeah so im in uncomfortable situation here
and by a bus i also need to take 2 days off which is really hard for me.
work , school.

people dont want to do me this favor cause everybody think its stupid going that distance for a pigeon
if i had a car i woudlnt think twice i would be in the car driving to get her

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
I have received three pigeons via mail over the years and had no problems, in fact the USPO did a great job.I do recommned that you ship on Monday or Tuesday at the latest to insure your bird is delivered to you BEFORE the weekend. Also, place your phone number on the outside of the box so they can contact you upon arrival.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have received three pigeons via mail over the years and had no problems, in fact the USPO did a great job.I do recommned that you ship on Monday or Tuesday at the latest to insure your bird is delivered to you BEFORE the weekend. Also, place your phone number on the outside of the box so they can contact you upon arrival.
will do :)
i just worry to much

·
Registered
911 Posts
Goga...........I fully understand your concern for this little baby. Your friend that is looking to charge you $200 for the trip is clearly trying to take advantage of you. I have never shipped or received any birds via the USPS so I can't comment as to how good or bad their service is. Other members here have had great results, but also their are members that have had terrible experiences.

I have a suggestion for you. Check with your local trucking companies. I am sure there is one that makes daily runs between Philly and Pittsburg. You might be lucky enough to find a kind soul at one of them that would be willing to bring the bird up to Pittsburg in the cab of the truck. You would need to have the baby delivered to where the trucker would be in Philly and you would have to pick him/her up it Pittsburg but it might be worth your looking into it.

I know how badly you want this baby to be OK. I hope and pray that whatever means you use for transporting the baby everything will work out just fine.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Hi goga, I have the shipping box, once you see the box you'll feel alittle better. When I received my first pigeons from Reti I was pleasantly surprised by the box. She'll be safe. I'm going to line the box with some padding and I will make sure she is fed. We just have to think positive and pray alittle just for added insurance. I have received from Reti birds the next day and I one time it took Two days so it just depends on the drop off points. I'm going to do everything on my end that you get it the next day and I'll be waiting for the truck at my post office so she doesn't have to sit in the post office alone. Your phone number will be on the box. Just go to your post office, get a phone number for them and tell them that your receiving a pigeon and if its alright if you call. My postoffice was so nice they even called me at 5:00 am when my pigeon arrived. Hopefully your postoffice will be just as nice. It sure makes it easier on you if they are just as nice thats for sure. But my post office is small, you know like 5,000 people small. I would rather ship on Wed because you don't work on Thursday or friday. If I ship on Tues, and she comes in on Wed you'll be at work. But its up to you. You decide. I think its great that you asked people on PT, suggestions and advice are always welcomed. Just a couple more days and jessica will be with you. I can't wait for you to send me pictures when your holding her. I was a nervous wreck when reti shipped me birds, didn't sleep called the post office all the time especially the time it took 2 days. Its a normal feeling, keep your fingers and toes crossed. :) mindy @}~ Little jessica is my avatar!!

·
Registered
441 Posts
Goga, take a deep breath . . . now exhale. Good. Now listen to Mindy (and the others). She knows what to do and Jessica will be safetly in your arms in a few days. I'm in Indiana and had two Kings shipped to me from California - www.mickacoo.org - and they did great. We all know how hard it is to wait. We are all anxiously waiting for new pics! :D

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah i will post the pictures as soon as she out of the box, matter of fact ill take some while she still at the post ofice,
and mindy there is no problem as far as post office im a regular customer there and they all know me so im not worried.
i have a good feeling
and wish time woudl fly little faster this time around :)

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
um you do not want to take her out of the box in the post office, she may fly up and be scared and get hurt and Im sure they don't want a pigeon lose in the post office, best to open it at home in the house near the cage you will be keeping her in.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Good advice spirit wings, we all can wait until your home in a safe environment. There is a little cut out that you can open so you can see in there without her getting out. When you see the box you'll understand. I just went and bought frozen peas and corn to get her started on eating that. I'll take any suggestions on whatever else needs to be done, to make her as healthy as she can be for her shippment. mindy

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have had several birds shipped to me via USPS.. From New Mexico to Oregon.. shipped on Monday, and I recieved them on Tuesday by noon... always safe and sound ;)

Just be sure to have food and water available as soon as you get them to their new home..

and..... it's OK to worry, I know I do, but have never had a problem :)

Be sure to let us know when your baby is in your hands:D

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Good advice spirit wings, we all can wait until your home in a safe environment. There is a little cut out that you can open so you can see in there without her getting out. When you see the box you'll understand. I just went and bought frozen peas and corn to get her started on eating that. I'll take any suggestions on whatever else needs to be done, to make her as healthy as she can be for her shippment. mindy
mindy, this yb does know how to eat on it's own, right?

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Spirit Wings, I'm teaching her to eat on her on for the next 3 days, Goga has saved a pigeons life when it was 3-4 days old, and she works with a vet, I'm confident that she will be in good hands when she gets to her new home. I have ran all this by Reti and got her okay. I didn't take decision lightly, allot of emails with goga and Reti. mindy

1 - 20 of 24 Posts