Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My pigeons keep laying eggs, I have about 10 of them now and want to eat them. What is a good recipe?

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
I hope you aren't just letting your pigeons lay over and over but rather replacing the eggs with wooden ones before they start to develop.
Pigeons need the down time of going through the incubation process to rest and restore the calcium in their system.
and...yes...this is the wrong forum for your question.:eek:

·
Registered
10,372 Posts
'Gloops'...just bury the Eggs in wet soil for a few months, crack open and shoot 'em right down the hatch.

After the Oriental fashion...

I have a Bantam Hen ( a Gallus Gallus, or, 'Chicken', ) and she lays all the time, but I can not bring myself to consider eating any of her Eggs, even though I eat Omletes and Over-easy Eggs and so on with Store-bought Eggs or in Restaurants.

I dunno, it's different when an Egg is from someone you know!

Seems about as appetizing as say, drinking Dog's Milk if one has a lactating Dog.

"Here Girl!"

Oh yeeeeesh...no thank you.

So, anyway, I can not do it.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hope you aren't just letting your pigeons lay over and over but rather replacing the eggs with wooden ones before they start to develop.
Pigeons need the down time of going through the incubation process to rest and restore the calcium in their system.
and...yes...this is the wrong forum for your question.:eek:
Oh, should I give my pigeons calcium supplements? I want Stacy and Stella to be healthy first and foremost, but it's a bonus if they are also productive. Pigeon eggs are so expensive at the supermarket. Also, I'm thinking I can cook the eggs and feed a couple of them back to my pigeons.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
The supermarket sells pigeon eggs?

Surely this thread is a semi-joke. If you think that eating ten pigeon eggs is going to save you money, then you are truly in dire straights financially and would save even more if you got rid of your pigeons. Because they will consume much more than you could recoup in eating their eggs. It would take ten to make a decent egg sandwich.

You're just trying to stir the pot and get a rise out of use. Right?

Just buy chicken eggs and save all that extra money that the stores charge for pigeon eggs. :)

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
'Gloops'...just bury the Eggs in wet soil for a few months, crack open and shoot 'em right down the hatch.

After the Oriental fashion...

I have a Bantam Hen ( a Gallus Gallus, or, 'Chicken', ) and she lays all the time, but I can not bring myself to consider eating any of her Eggs, even though I eat Omletes and Over-easy Eggs and so on with Store-bought Eggs or in Restaurants.

I dunno, it's different when an Egg is from someone you know!
Seems about as appetizing as say, drinking Dog's Milk if one has a lactating Dog.

"Here Girl!"

Oh yeeeeesh...no thank you.

So, anyway, I can not do it.

I agree with you on this one, Phil.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
When I ws a kid, my stepfather was Chinese. He had dozens of large glass jars in the basement that were filled with chicken eggs, soaking in vinegar.

He told me that the plan was to leave the eggs in the vinegar for 17 years and then the entire egg would turn black and the shell would be like a soft rubber.

He said it was a big and expensive delicacy in China, for eating on special occasions.

I never forgot the thought that someday I might have to eat one of those black eggs.

YUCK!

I left home and joined the Marines before the 17 years was up. :)

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Dove eggs are a delicacy in Asia, they even have special recipies just for them. Although I don't see any productive way of getting dove eggs without hurting the hen's calcium supply and mental health :p
Chicken, duck, goose, guinea, quail - eggs are eggs at my house. Because pigeons aren't designed for laying eggs all the time like the others, I've never thought much of eating the unwanted ones. They're so tiny, they don't seem worth it. I know quail eggs are even smaller, but they are more rich being from gamebirds. But if you have your birds incubating fake ones, and would rather not waste the real ones, eating them is fine. It'd take a lot to amount to anything. If it were me, I guess they'd get mixed in with the chicken eggs and scrambled up.

My dad has eaten pigeon eggs before, and he didn't have anything special to say about how they tasted. I don't think he thought it was worth the effort either :p Our unwanted eggs go straight to the garden as organic fertilizer :)

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, we already have chicken eggs. Our chickens have been laying us eggs since I was little. My family is Chinese so we also make those black eggs, we use duck eggs too. It only takes us like 5 months. I think 17 years is too long.

Wow, you use such precious pigeon eggs as fertilizer? Pigeon eggs and chicken eggs are quite different. Pigeon eggs are softer and almost translucent-colored if they are hard-boiled. They are very tender and tasty. I wish I had a recipe.

I decided to leave today's egg but another pigeon just cracked it =(

·
Registered
890 Posts
Oh, should I give my pigeons calcium supplements? I want Stacy and Stella to be healthy first and foremost, but it's a bonus if they are also productive. Pigeon eggs are so expensive at the supermarket. Also, I'm thinking I can cook the eggs and feed a couple of them back to my pigeons.
You can buy pigeon eggs at the supermarket? This is something I've never seen.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
hey an egg is an egg is an egg, personally i get grossed out by regular old chicken eggs sometimes, but i would have no problem feeding them to the wild birds i rehab.
i know a lady who ate her parrots eggs, lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm surprised at the reaction of so many to the idea of eating pigeon eggs. If you do some research you will find that around the world many different types of eggs are eaten, from those of wild seagulls, to those of doves.

I've tried pigeon eggs before (they don't seem that small to me because I also raise bantam hens for their eggs) since two females were shacking up together and filled their nest with four infertile eggs. Yes, I did notice that the "white" stays translucent after boiling, but otherwise I did not notice anything too different.

But I've often wondered if the chicken had not become so popular around the world, whether today we would have pigeons bred for egg-laying. It's not that far fetched, since they lay year-round, and are were clearly the most important domesticated avian species for thousands of years.

Cheers...

·
Registered
857 Posts
In the middle ages, in Europe, one reason people kept pigeons was because they could allow pigeons to forage on their own and by providing a home for the pigeons have easy access to the pigeon eggs for food.
I have given hard boiled pigeon eggs to my dogs, but I have never eaten any myself. I would eat them, but I have easy access to much larger chicken eggs.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
1 - 20 of 38 Posts