Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I am wondering how some of you deal with pigeons with behavior issues?

Some of you might remember that earlier this year I had two babies that I had to bring inside and finish raising myself. The first was Loco who not only had splayed legs but also had a bone infection in his banded leg, we had to have the band cut off, cure the infection & then tackle the splay issue. So all in all he spent about two months living inside and during that time he got to be VERY, VERY SPOILED!! He got all the attention he wanted, would sit & sleep on my lap and watch T.V. Then about a month & a half into his recovery, one night while checking the loft I found Minnie on the floor of the loft ice cold with a big hole pecked on her back so inside she came.

Well I immediately noticed that Loco had jealousy issues because he would do anything he could to get attention when I was tending to Minnie's wound and if it didn't work he would come over and peck at her just to get a rise out of me. He would also attack and wing slap my husband if he tried to come near when Loco was sitting on me.

They have both fully recovered and are happily living outside in the YB loft.
HOWEVER Loco is still a bit of a problem child, I believe he is convinced that I am his mate. Every time I walk into the loft he dances back and forth on his favorite perch just coo cooing away and if I don't immediately go over and pet him he will fly to my shoulder. Then if he still isn't satisfied he will bite my ears OWWW!!

Well yesterday was the last straw!!! He had flown to my shoulder but I wasn't paying attention and was looking down talking to Minnie who was pecking at my leg. Well that little (REALLY BAD WORD) reached around and pecked me in the eye!! Serious BIG OWWY!! He actually gave me a very bad scratch on my cornea, my eye is swollen shut and I had to spend $145 between the eye doctor and antibiotic drops.
Now I love him dearly and I do enjoy the fact that unlike the rest of the racers he actually loves me and desires attention and petting but this is a bit much, he is becoming an abusive boyfriend :eek:
Soooo any ideas as to how I can get him to stop hurting me without breaking the bond that we have??

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Can't help you there. I have the same problem with a couple of them, and have gotten it in the eye once of twice. I just don't let them that close to my face when they land on me. And if I'm tending to or feeding someone else, I just face the other way. Toward the other shoulder. If they peck at me, they are also quickly removed from my shoulder. I just reach up and brush them off. They know I'm displeased, and it hasn't seemed to stop them from coming to me. Also, if I'm feeding treats, and they peck at me, or bite me to demand that I feed THEM, they get pushed away, and don't get any. They seem to learn I mean it, and stop. The only one that has been doing that is a younger one who hasn't quite gotten it yet. But he will. LOL. Let us know how it goes. That really hurts when they get you in the eye. Never trust a spoiled pigeon that close to your face. Wrap around glasses would work too. :D

·
Registered
521 Posts
The abuse will continue. I've been dealing with it for three and a half years with Brooklyn. Now, I have a Budapest (Brutus) who has jumped on the same bandwagon.

There's no way to stop it.

Just learn to be careful about what you let them get away with (i.e. sitting on shoulders, etc). That's the only way I've found to minimize the damages caused by their reigns of terror...

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The abuse will continue. I've been dealing with it for three and a half years with Brooklyn. Now, I have a Budapest (Brutus) who has jumped on the same bandwagon.

OK that's not making me feel any better LOL!

perhaps you can find him a pigeon mate so he will not bother you as much.
The funny thing is he is in a section with all my breeder hens right now and shows no interest in anyone but me. I had moved the girls over to what will be next years OB section to give them a break from their mates.
I told him yesterday that if he didn't behave I was going to toss him in with all the cocks just to show him that he is NOT the toughest bird on the block.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Quote:

--------------------------------------------------

OK that's not making me feel any better LOL!
-------------------------------------------------

I don't agree with that it won't get better.
I knock mine off my shoulder when they do that. They DO learn that I won't tolerate being pecked. And the few that did that don't do it now. Different when I reach into their nestbox. Some will bite you when you do that. I allow them to protect their boxes.
If he pecks you from your shoulder, knock him off! LOL.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts