Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got a red bar cock and want to know if its possible to get blue bars or any bar pigeons out of him. he is the only barred pigeon i have all the other ones are red hens? not going to breed now but next year.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
If he has blue flecks on him, then yes, you can get blue offspring. If the hens are carrying the bar gene, then you can get more barred birds.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
would both babies be barred or just one? the parents of the red bar are a blue bar and red bar.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no i still haven't figured out who to pair him up with. But i know its going to have to be an ash red hen cause that is all i got. cause i dont think a white red grizzle would work to get blue bars would it?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i'll probably post pictures of the red bar tomorrow and who i think i will pair him up with?

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Grizzle would work, but your babies would be grizzled in either blue or red.

Like I said, if any of the hens are carrying bar (that means one of her parents needed to be a bar or carrying bar), then you'll get some bars. I'm guessing the hens are checks?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i'm not really sure i dont know my colors that good. i dont think they are checks. i'll just try to get another red bar to breed him with or tell my friend to let me borrow his blue bar to breed from it.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
does the hen that i pair him up with have to be blue bar?
If you want blue bars from that red bar cock, your best bet is a blue bar hen.

If you use a checker pattern hen (any color), the count of youngsters with bar decreases and sometimes you may never get youngsters with bar (if the hen is homozygous for checker pattern) in that pairing.

If you use a red bar hen, you will mainly get red bars, your chance for getting blue bar again goes down but some offsprings will be blue bar (as your cock bird is carrying red and blue.) Those blue bars offsprings will be females.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
then what do you think would come out him if hes the red bar and breed him to an ash red hen. what will the offspring look like.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Red bar cock (carrying blue) x red check hen (pure for check):
-All sons will be red checks. Half of them will be pure red and half will be carrying blue.
-Half of the daughters will be blue checks and half of them will be red checks.
-All offspring will be checked but they will carry the bar gene.

Red bar cock (carrying blue) x red check hen (carrying bar):
- All sons will be red, half of them carrying blue and half pure red.
- Half of the daughters will be blue, and half will be red.
- Half of the offspring (of either sex) will be bars, and half will be checks (of either sex)

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
can i breed the daughter of his back to him so they can come out barred. what would be the easy route to take to just get any kind of bar pigeon.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
By far, the easiest route would be to get a barred hen to mate him with. BUT the second easiest is to mate one of his daughters back to him :)

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
can i breed the daughter of his back to him so they can come out barred. what would be the easy route to take to just get any kind of bar pigeon.
Just out of curiousity, since blue bars are one of the most common in pigeons including homers, is it because this cock bird is special that you don't want to go away from his gene pool ?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yea he is a good roller plus i only have one red bar which is just him and i like the way they look but i like blue bar pigeons better than all the other. i'll try to post some pictures of him later.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts