· Registered
1,411 Posts
spend tons of time with them
let them get VERY used to you and give them treats
it will take time and patience
trying some hand feeding wont hurt either

· Registered
578 Posts
get them when there young and play with them...at first you hold them and make them hold your fingerkinda thing then they will get used to it and then work on holding them while peting them the you work on teaching them to "step up" onto your finger and then playwith them (at the moment i am tameing a dove that i got on friday who was never touched and he is sitting on my sholder as i type this)

· Registered
880 Posts
do it in stages,day by day,they will soon get used to you and come without you having to call them,spend time with them,special treats such as peanuts can help with handfeeding,let them get used to your voice,,also try wearing a familiar garment (jumper coat etc)for a few days and they will recognise it and you

· Registered
1,036 Posts
Lots of time and patients! When you feed your pigeons in your loft, sit very still next to the food. If they are too afraid to come eat, scoot back a bit. Sit quietly and don't reach out to them or make any fast movements. Each day scoot a bit closer. you need to get them used to you being around before they will want to be on you. When they feel comfortable enough with you just being there, feed them from your hands. soon enough they will be jumping on you when you enter the loft looking for there meal :)

· Registered
217 Posts
Slowly with lots of patience. Do not rush things. I have a bird that I have had for more than three months that still does not trust me, he stands back while the others are sitting on me, crowding around for their raw peanuts.
I am sure their background has a lot to do with their behavior. I obtained this bird from an Amish farmer who raised them for food (How many times were you told by your folks not to play with your food?) and I believe the only time he saw a person was at feeding time and when it was time to select the next victim. Nothing was very reassuring to the flock when there was a human present.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.