Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
"(1) The bow-coo. Only males give bow coos under ordinary conditions, however, females long isolated from males may do so irregularly. This is the fastest coo in courting behavior, and is always directed at a particular bird with an accompanying head bow. The feet often alternate in "stamping". Perch coos and nest coos are slower and softer and the nest coo is always accompanied by wing "flipping". Perch coos and nest coos may be given by both sexes.

(2) Billing. The female may put her bill inside the males mouth after squab-like begging movements and be fed token amounts.

(3) Sex crouch. To culminate courtship in mated pairs, the female will squat down, tuck her head in close, and raise her shoulders preparatory to supporting the males feet.

(4) Sex-mount. (Treading) The male repeatedly cranes his neck above the female (which is in a sex crouch). He may sporadically "preen" between wing tips and rump, fluff rump and posterior feathers, then mount the female, both facing the same direction. The tail of the male bends and swings to one side of that of the female, and his wings flutter to maintain balance. Within seconds the male tips backward and the cloaca meet in quick copulation. The "laugh" or challenge note normally is given immediately after copulation by both sexes. (A long isolated pair of females may mount each other.)

(5) Display flight. The male flies upward wing clapping, then glides down.

Certainly, of these sex behavior characters which can allow one to infer sex, the most frequent one is the bow-coo."
hope this helps

·
Registered
385 Posts
Males will coo more often and are bigger. And if you feel under it's belly right neer it's "rear end", a male will feel loose and a female will feel tight.................. or is it the other way around?:eek:

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I ask my pigeons and they tell me :p

·
Registered
397 Posts
Males will coo more often and are bigger. :eek:
the males arent necessarily bigger. depending on ages the female could indead be bigger. but i guess in most cases this is true =]

·
Registered
397 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
I have just started out and bought what I think is two pairs
ok i would just observe their behaviors. it should help with identifying. also-
...if one lays an egg...:p

·
Registered
508 Posts
Good work dovelove<3. She knows what she is talking about!:)

·
Registered
202 Posts
When i first got mine I placed a little mirror in the loft. The males will try and fight their reflection. Now i just seem to know by their heads, the girls have delicate more features.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
If they are adults, then the bird dancing in circles, puffing out his crop, making sounds, dragging its spread tail, chasing some bird is a cock. If the bird lays an egg, then it is a hen (LOL!).

For young birds I am still confused--I still don't know, too.

For babies that are 1-2 weeks old, smiley butt (anus/cloaca?) is usually a cock to me, while frowning (anus/cloaca?) is usually a female. This is what I've observed at my loft and it is bordering non-science.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If they are adults, then the bird dancing in circles, puffing out his crop, making sounds, dragging its spread tail, chasing some bird is a cock. If the bird lays an egg, then it is a hen (LOL!).

For babies that are 1-2 weeks old, smiley butt (anus/cloaca?) is usually a cock to me, while frowning (anus/cloaca?) is usually a female. This is what I've observed at my loft and it is bordering non-science.
OMG! :eek: You just made my day...Almost fell out of the chair laughing. Would that be a smiley, with the head up, or down? In otherwords, how do you hold the bird? LMAO!

·
Registered
265 Posts

I tried the smiley butt test on my newest baby but it seems it is still hedging its bets sex-wise - its cloaca was a dead straight line however you looked at it!:confused: I will try your beak-tweaking method shortly and see if it has made a decision yet!:D

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
truecolorsloft,

I hold the bird facing it's ass. LOL! I compare the cloaca imagining it like a lip. If it points up (concave up) (happy) is usually a cock. Frowning (concave down) is usually a girl. In the beginning I don't believe in this crap, but I tried anyhow because I am always open to suggestions. I tested it on my birds by predicting the babies and figuring it out later when they became adults and it turned out to be correct. The first week of baby's life is good. Second week is already confusing and I can make mistakes. I want to know if there is a scientific basis on this.

della,

If it is straight which happened to me, too, I ended up with no clue. Hates those tight lip babies. LOL!

·
Registered
330 Posts
The only for sure way to tell is to witness the laying of the egg :D

I have had females mount males and my fav bird ever (rip :( ) would always do the bow/coo/drag tail thing when SHE saw me. Claire was wacky, they aren't usually like that.

Once they have layed eggs females will sit overnight and evening and males sit morning-afternoon.

Males will feed the females from their beak (pigeon kiss) right before mating..

I also read about hip-bone sexing. Maybe read about that (you gotta find it, sorry...) and try that out.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.