Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering what is a safe and easy way to trim a birds beak? I have a Ukranian Skycutter whose top beak seems to keep growing and is actually starting to hook under her bottom beak.
I'm curious as to why this happens?? Will it ever stop growing or will I have to trim it on a regular basis?

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Reason for abnormal beak growth in pigeons can be nutritional problem, virus, trauma or genetic abnormality. Some medications can also cause this condition. Easiest way is to use nail filer and carefully file tip of the beak. Do it slowly and take time, as the process is irritating for the bird. Imagine someone filing your teeth. Would do it only in the situation where overgrown beak prevents bird from feeding. Unless this is a show bird and it needs 100% perfection.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, so far she seems to still be eating and drinking fine and nope not a show bird so it isn't for appearance sake. I was just afraid that if it doesn't stop growing it would be that much harder to trim it later on especially since the skycutters aren't the most cooperative of birds.
Would nail clippers work or would that crack/split the beak?

I guess I will just keep an eye on her, watch her during feeding and take it from there.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
The actual overgrowth on my birds beak is actually not as hard as the beak itself and trims easily. It is easy to distinguish from the actual beak, and you don't trim that.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Nail clippers if not carefull may crack the beak, that's why I didn't mentioned them. depends how big is the piece you need to trim.

·
Registered
754 Posts
clippers

I took in a abandoned banded bird no one would claim and when I got it the beak was over grown to where she could not eat larger seeds. I brought her over to a friends house and he used nail clippers and gently took two small clips and all went well she looks better and can eat peas now. I could not do this myself the first time but now after watching him do it I am sure I could if it happens again, her beak has stayed normal from that time on.

Like Plamenh had said and my friend said the same, it was probally due to nutrition because she seemed to be healthy other wise as far as being sick.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
overgrown beak

It can also be due to a toxic liver.

I usually have my husband hold the bird steady and then I slowly trim the beak until it is aligned with lower beak and file any remaining protrusion.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts