Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
okay so, this may seem a silly question but please read......yesterday i went to buy a good bloodline male high flyer, from a nearby breeder who is flying pigeons in competitions since 10 years, while talking about pigeons he said me that bazz [falcon in english] has taken his several birds last year. i was shocked coz i thought we had no falcons in my area. he described it has a grey bird which is a little bigger than pigeons. just a couple days i ago i talked to a fancier that lived 25 km away my home and he said he is also sick of bazz that keep hunting his pigeons
now really i have never seen a falcon, and dont know how it looks like.
but i am seeing a grey colour bird, whose size is just a little more bigger than a pigeon. he flaps is wings and then stops and again flap and stop, this is his flying style. can this bird be the falcon/ bazz?? i asked jass earlier and he said it is a owl faced eagle who hunts rats!! i have seen it flying just side by my pigeons but he didnt care
and also the fancier said that bazz hunts only in winter, is it true?? do they breed in winters only??

·
Banned
569 Posts
Have you tried an online search? You would go to google search. Type in birds of prey in India. Click on the links, scroll down and read. I'm sure you have several types of birds of prey in youre area. Good luck!

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes I already did, they dont show falcon in it. Theres only black kite as bird of prey in mumbai. The falcon I see in videos are very larger than compared to indian falcon.
I asked many fanciers about baaz and they said, they come here only in winters to breed and then leave...so if I dont fly in winters I wont have any problem. And yeah I dont see that grey bird around here now. Whereas I spot it almost everyday in winters

·
Registered
727 Posts
Falcons

Falcons have a narrow pointed wing, and a fairly narrow tail. The wing beat you have described could be anytype of raptor. I have seen the small falcons known in America as American Kestrels or sparrow hawks hoover in that manner. I have sent Red Tail Hawks, and Harrier Hawks hover in the same manner.

The falcon in America that is only slightly larger than a pigeon is called a Merlin or pigeon hawk. They have been known to take pigeons, but their small size doesn't make them particularly good at pigeon hunting.

The falcons in the US that cause most of the problems are the Peregrine, and Prairie Falcons. They are larger birds.

The reason your friend says the come in winter is not because the is when they breed. A lot of America is free of falcons during summer, but these are migratory birds that show up in the southern US in winter. As their numbers increase here and they find sources for pigeons like fanciers flocks they have started to stay in the southern areas year round.

·
Banned
569 Posts
Yes I already did, they dont show falcon in it. Theres only black kite as bird of prey in mumbai. The falcon I see in videos are very larger than compared to indian falcon.
I asked many fanciers about baaz and they said, they come here only in winters to breed and then leave...so if I dont fly in winters I wont have any problem. And yeah I dont see that grey bird around here now. Whereas I spot it almost everyday in winters
It is the same here in the US, certain species move through in winter, which is a bad time to fly for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.