Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
When I was a teen I was given a small flock of pigeons. I only had them for a short time before they all mysteriously died, we suspect the neighbor poisoned them. Since then I have always dreamed of what could have been.

In the next couple of years I will be retiring from the military, and I am considering building a loft and getting a flock of homers. I am presently serving in Iraq, so right now this is just the research stage, and I have a lot of questions.

Can anyone advise me on loft designs, books to read, how to start a modest flock(maybe 6 birds) cheaply, websites to visit, racing rules, training tips, how much time each day is required to tend a flock, and anything else a novice may need to know?

My plan is to learn all I can over the next couple of years, not actually getting any pigeons until I have retired and I know I will not be deployed again, so I can be there to tend to them properly.

Thank you,
Roy

·
Registered
201 Posts
Do you have any idea of what type of pigeons you were wanting to start with? Usually the type of birds will help a lot with loft design, nesting boxes, and maintainability. But for the most part a good sized cost efficient loft to start with would be this one http://www.redroselofts.com/starter_loft.htm. as for birds if you are just looking for homers or rollers you can usually find good priced birds on craigslist.com. they wont be high quality champion birds but they are good to get started with some yard birds. If you are looking for fancier breeds then try the for sale section here at the forums or eggbid.com, but just be careful on eggbid lots of scammers out there. I wish the best of luck to you when you do finally get started.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
First start reading your ordinance code if they allow you to keep pigeons, loft and whether it requires a permit. And hopefully your neighbor's are animal/pet friendly. Some people just hate pigeons so stay away from those neighbors. Several houses here that have those home association thing that might not even allow pigeons in your own property. Weird.

Thanks for serving. My best friend served there, too, during the war in both wars. One of my uncles served in Vietnam, too. I almost ended up in military, too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts