Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading John Clements book last night on long distance racing and he was writing about some flyers in northern part of the Netherlands who race from a distance of over 800 miles when they race in Barcelona, the one loft was 835 miles, imagine the blood running through these birds to make this happen along with the preperation.

So I was wondering how far are you all on your longest race? For us it will be somewhere inbetween 665 to 680 miles for our longest race, they release somewhere in Texas and somehow end up back up north in nebraska and Iowa. Our club had a few members this last OB season get a few day birds from this station. Our loft has not raced this stationed yet since we have started racing again but hope to sometime in the next few years...wait and see.

So how far are you?

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Hi Pete, yes my club (Siouxland Racing Pigeon Club) is part of the Hawkeye/Husker Combine although my loft has not flown one of the races yet, we will be racing maybe 8 2 yr old this year and the rest are yearling out of 28 bird total, so will probaby wait a year or two more until we fly in the combine, until then i will have to enjoy watching how my club member do. By the way I am in Sioux City.

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
I was reading John Clements book last night on long distance racing and he was writing about some flyers in northern part of the Netherlands who race from a distance of over 800 miles when they race in Barcelona, the one loft was 835 miles, imagine the blood running through these birds to make this happen along with the preperation.

So I was wondering how far are you all on your longest race? For us it will be somewhere inbetween 665 to 680 miles for our longest race, they release somewhere in Texas and somehow end up back up north in nebraska and Iowa. Our club had a few members this last OB season get a few day birds from this station. Our loft has not raced this stationed yet since we have started racing again but hope to sometime in the next few years...wait and see.

So how far are you?
Our longest race would be 581 miles, but we don't fly that station because it is an OB race and we only fly YB's. The longest distance I have flown my YB's has been 400 miles. This distance for a YB, would never have been flown back in my Jr. days. Back then, we would "baby" a bird until his 2nd year of OB racing. Didn't like to send a yearling beyond 300 or so miles. The strain I had back in those days, required several years to mature, but then also lived a long time. They would have about an 8 year racing career, and about another 8 years as a breeder. The longest distance back then would have been some distance slightly over 600 miles.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts