Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How is the San Antonio area for pigeon racing?

We are moving from Ohio to the San Antonio, Texas area two years from now.

I was wondering if there are a lot of flyers in that area, and which directions they fly from.

What specific area of greater San Antonio would be a better loft location to live at, to lose less birds in races?

Do clubs have races longer than 500 miles in that area?

Can anyone recommend a general location of the greater San Antonio area, that I should look for a house in? I want about 10 acres of land, and a house under 200K. Preferably 150K. Just for a retired couple.

Also, my wife insists on having a pool. :) I think they are not worth the trouble, but she sits on the top perch (if you know what I mean). :)

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I see there is a club down there . Woodlawn Racing Pigeon Club.

An early congrats on your retirement plans. I too would like to go somewhere warmer but I haven't got a clue where yet but I have a few more years to decide,and I would want a pool too.

·
Registered
390 Posts
In comparison to the area that Eric and I live in Cincinnati would be the Banana Belt! I have been there many times and it is a beautiful area with a nice 4 season climate. Actually Eric it has three seasons Spring, Summer and an extended Autumn.

·
Registered
457 Posts
10 acre home for 150,000...One could only dream of them in my area, even in this bad housing economy. Five years ago I was almost able to get a one acre rundown old home for 350,000. When I hear of "cheap" land I get jealous. Good for anyone who can get one. Live it up for me too.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
10 acre home for 150,000...One could only dream of them in my area, even in this bad housing economy. Five years ago I was almost able to get a one acre rundown old home for 350,000. When I hear of "cheap" land I get jealous. Good for anyone who can get one. Live it up for me too.
Where I am now, I got ten acres and a very nice home, for 127K. 10 years ago when housing was kind of high. Not like now..

But yea. It all depends on location, location, and location.

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
You might think about WATER as water down there is a plus. And if you go with a water well Many well are rathere deep to good water. I have a friend that moved back here. And he did water well around there for about 6 years Plus remember temps will be different 100 degree plus But that is not that bad. But getting a good water supply. And I guess look at rural water to see if you have it or can get it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Let me welcome you to Texas!! Or welcome back, whichever the case may be. I do not live in San Antonio but about six hours east. Practically neighbors in Texas.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I agree with re lee , it might have better weather but all those south western states have or will have a water shortage . Too many people and not enough water to go around. Many parts of California are already in water rationing and I would bet many more states will start rationing soon in that area.

·
Registered
268 Posts
There is plenty of water in Texas, I've been here most of my life and have never been without water. If I did get without, I would go to wal mart and get some. We have rivers and streams, it even rain's a couple of times a year. I was in San Antonio yesterday and didn't see anyone dying of thirst. There is plenty of water here, come on down.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
two thumbs up on the pool, your wife is smart, I lived outside of San Antone for a time..it gets hot as......( where the devil lives.) I did love it out there though, nice laid back people and good food.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The farther east you go the more surface water you will see. We have plenty of lakes and lots of rivers and creeks. Texas is not all desert. I am totally surrounded by rivers and bayous which offer excellent fishing and recreation. The eastern Piney Woods portion has excellent lakes and fishing. The middle of Texas is drier but still has decent water. Yes we have droughts like everbody else in the southwest. You survive them here like you would any other natural weather problem. I live on the coast and we have hurricanes. Dallas gets tornadoes and San Antonio is hot as heck in August. We deal with it. I havent heard of anyone suffering from thirst in quite some time. Texans are some of the finest folks in the world. We love our military retirees and even enjoy the snowbirds from northern states when they aint too obnoxious. Come on down, we will find a spot for you.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks to all for the info and the links.

We can't wait to get there. We have never been to Texas except just driving through going from California to Ohio in 1974. But everything about Texas, is "me". So I need to go there.

I love hot weather and I love the outlook Texans have about life in general.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Ever think about Northen California? I know Cali is not the ideal place to retire but it's not a bad place if you're thinkin' Texas. Lots of places from Sacramento to the Oregon border are wide open and cheaper than on the southern end and coastal area where I'm at. Pigeon flyers there too.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts