Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering, how late in the season can Pigeons breed in the northern states, like Michigan and Wisconsin? What age do they start breeding?

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
I am wondering, how late in the season can Pigeons breed in the northern states, like Michigan and Wisconsin? What age do they start breeding?
Depends on what the purpose is in breeding them so late. If these are just "pets" then I would advice against it and would wait until next year when it warms up some.
If you're racing them, then you STILL don't want to breed late in the year. The young would be TOO young to race as old birds and of course, if banded this year (2009) couldn't race in young birds NEXT year, so you would have a bunch of birds that would have to wait for old birds in 2011.
It's too late in the year to raise birds for breeders for next year, because they would only be 4 or 5 months old at the start of 2010.
So, I guess the answer is, in reality, you can breed pigeons any time of the year that you want to, but to raise babies in the dead of winter.....especially in the northern states, I personally would have a REALLY good reason for doing so and not just "because"..........if there's no good reason, and I can't think of a good one to be raising babies between now and Dec., you're better off (and so are the birds) to wait until next year. ;)
I know that when you are first getting started, it's SO hard to wait, but if you keep the birds health and well being in mind, it won't be SO very hard to do.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Lovebird

No Special Reason, Just A General Question. Thanks...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts