Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, its been awhile how long would it take to get an older bird in shape for a long race. I have about 30 days. What do you think? I have been letting them out for about 2 week.

·
Banned
2,389 Posts
Just My Opinion---If the bird is not ready for a 500 mile race "NOW" you have waited too long to worry about shipping it to this Race.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
2 tosses a day 1 at 30 mi the other at 50 to 60 every other day loft fly 2 times a day flag them to make them fly 1 1/2 hrs a day.Now as long as its not a killer head wind I think it could be done, make sure the feed is a good race mix.
Dave

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They should be ready to go 30 miles by mid week. I work a littile over 30 air miles. I will try to get them in shape and see what they look like.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
Hello, its been awhile how long would it take to get an older bird in shape for a long race. I have about 30 days. What do you think? I have been letting them out for about 2 week.
I think it is a little like a human athlete. In that it depends on the type of year round care they are subjected to and what their present condition is.

I have not flown OB for many years. But, back when I did, the birds never really got "Out of shape" that much in the first place. If your birds were in lock down over the winter and only now you are addressing their condition, then like the one poster said, this 500 mile race most likely is out of the question.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts