Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have 3 birds currently in my house in seperate boxes attempting to rehab and recover from PMV 1 is not looking good, the other 2 seem to be improving just wondered how long i should keep them fromthe rest of the flock

·
Premium Member
9,478 Posts
They are infectious to other birds for 6 weeks from the date they became infected. In practise, we usually don't know exactly when that was, so we isolate them for 6 weeks from when we first recognize the symptoms.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wow thats a long time! gonna have to figure out a better solution for their housing/care situation. at this point they wouldnt be back out till the new year.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i just got done watch pmv videos on youtube and although the fantail i have seems to exhibit the same level of next twisting, the other 2 are not nearly as bad verging on not even being similiar especially thesecond homer i brought in i notcied her twisting her neck around a bit almost like she was looking for something and unwilling to fly choosing rather to walk (which is unlikely for her as shes quite the flyer) so in an attempt to be proactive and hopefully save others from being infected i brought her in. guess time will tell, its hard to moniter thier actions/recovery the way i have them now.

airing on the side of caution once i dont see them twisting i shouldnt just put them back in after not seeing any signs for a week right?? better to wait the full 6 weeks?

·
Premium Member
9,478 Posts
Some pigeons do not show as bad symptoms as others, but the fact remains that they are still capable of infecting other birds until the virus has run its course - six weeks.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Don't mean to step on anyone's toes here. I can't tell you from personal experience as my birds have never had PMV, but I am told that it spreads through the loft like wildfire. Maybe someone else here with experience with PMV first hand in a loft could verify this. Para. on the other hand may infect a handful of birds or the flock and some may get worse symptoms then others, some birds you may not even tell they are sick in the loft unless you let them out and they just don't have the urge to fly. Correct me if I am wrong.
Kurps

1 - 6 of 6 Posts