Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again everyone.

For those of you familiar with my other thread, I've just gotten a female ringneck (El) to be a mate for my male (Curie). They haven't mated yet, but El has laid an egg in her cage.

I was intending to let her incubate her eggs this time, seeing as they would be infertile, but she's gone and crushed this one slightly already. I'm wondering how long I should leave that egg in the nest?

I noticed that she'd laid it yesterday, and it is now late afternoon, so perhaps she may have another on the way. She was sitting on her nest quite a lot yesterday, but today when I got home she called for me, standing on the edge of her nest, so I gave it a look. Since then she has been away from her nest eating, preening, etc.

I don't have any fake eggs yet because my birds have yet to really make contact (only a week together as neighbors so far), so I can't replace the broken one.

I think I've figured out why it broke at least. Her nest probably needs some more spongy materials. Right now it is a metal bowl with strips of paper, not exactly the softest setup. I wasn't expecting her to lay this soon. I'll have to make a stop at the local bird shop to get her better materials, as well as pick up those fake eggs.

But I digress, my main question is how long should I leave the broken egg in the nest?

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
You wouldn't leave a broken egg. Remove it. If the eggs are breaking easily, then she probably isn't getting enough calcium with D3 and needs a supplement. Does she get one?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I got her from her previous owner a week ago, I was informed that she hadn't been getting any grit for at least a few months.

Now she is on Hagen's gravel mix (includes oyster shell and flaked charcoal) with some crushed eggshell sprinkled on top. She is eating a mix of seed and pellets recommended by my vet for Curie a while back, so I imagine she wouldn't require any extra supplements.

Does laying take so much calcium that I'd need to give her a D3 supplement on top of her current daily intake? I've only got experience with my male, so this is new to me.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
YES, egg laying takes lots of their calcium stores. And if they become deficient in it, they can have all sorts of problems. And without vit. D3, the can't utilize the calcium they do get. So if they are inside birds, they also need the D3. Outside birds get the D3 from the sun.
Grit doesn't contain all that they need. She should be getting a supplement, like CalciBoost, or Calcivet a couple if times a week. Just goes right in the water.
Often they don't take enough of the grit or egg shells for calcium. But they drink water.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is D3 in their foods, but I will go get some supplements like you mentioned. Thanks for the help. :)

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
They should always have a supplement. The eggs shouldn't break easily. You can also go and get a more comfy nesting material for them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts