Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have six Pigeons, 2 females & 4 males. Two pairs have already laid eggs & two birds have hatched (10 days ago), I have ordered a pin & bob trap to add to my coop this week, I want to teach these babies to home, how long till they are old enough to start teaching them to fly? I should have 2 more babies hatching next weekend.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
They'll be weaned around 4 weeks old, and will start coming out of the loft a week or two later to explore.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, so I can start picking them up & setting them on the landing shelf so they can start practicing going in the trap door at about 6 weeks old right??

·
Registered
463 Posts
I start trap training as soon as I see them eating and drinking with there parents, usually at about 4 weeks, give or take a few days. I believe in getting them out as soon as possible while there parents are still there security blanket. I have a wire cage with a door on 1 end that I set out away from the loft so they can see the surroundings, and use it to trap train also. I do that for about 2 weeks or until it is second nature for them. Just my opinion, listen to the matriarchs for there experience. What works for one might not work for others. Good luck

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Thanks, so I can start picking them up & setting them on the landing shelf so they can start practicing going in the trap door at about 6 weeks old right??
Yes, 4-6 weeks should be fine. I like to make sure they have long enough wings and tails to flutter safely to the floor and not hurt themselves. Some babies when I wean them I just put them up in the settling cage instead of in the loft and let them go through. Just depends on what I feel like and how big they are.

·
Banned
3,342 Posts
As soon as they can fly to a high perch and back down they are ready to go in the settling cage. Any earlier, as Becky said, and you risk injuries if they have to drop and cannot support their weight on landing. I have birds that are 5 weeks and have been in the cage for a week now, It is real high but they were able to get up to a perch in the loft the same height about 2 days before I put them in the cage. Make sure they respond to your feed call before you try removing the settling cage.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts