Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been observed this pigeon couple since last winter. They nest on my neighbor's balcony, the lower level, so that I can see them every day. They loved each other so much and always be together. It's been such a great joy too look at them grooming each other and take care of their babies together. They are real romantic birds.

3 days ago, the female got killed by the falcon. I went down to save her but I was too late :( She died in my arm and I buried her shortly after that.

Right now, my concern is on her mate. He seems not too well. I mean he is still healthy so far, but has very less activity. He always stand there at the very balcony, keep looking around or sometimes flying around like he is searching or waiting for her to come back home.

It is heartbreaking to look at him like this. I heard that Pigeon are mating for life. I don't know if he will be able to move on or not? and how long would it take? or you have any idea to help him? Please help!

Attachments

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
It's very sad when we witness things like this, but really, there is nothing that you can do and the mate that is left will be just fine. I dare say within the week, he's got a new girlfriend.
Pigeons don't "mourn" in the way that we do. I'm sure he misses his mate, but he doesn't miss her in the sense that we think of as humans.
Thank you for caring though and for the pictures. Actually, we would love to see the new mate he takes on if possible.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, Lovebirds, for your quick response.
Your answer helping (me) a lot. Not only him, I also feel sad for the last couple days to see him like this.
I will looking forward to see him with his new family.
I will sure show you the new picture of him and the new mate if he still stay at the same spot.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
That is so sad.
I agree with Renee and most do find a new mate. My experience is that when one does lose a mate, that bird will go through a grieving process which varies from bird to bird. I've only had one bird that chose to remain alone and he was 14 at the time.
I know this is heartbreaking for you to observe and you feel helpless. I would feel the same.

·
Registered
9,856 Posts
I believe they do go through a grieving process. He may not realize a falcon killed her and is, in fact, looking for her. However, when he realizes she will not be back he will seek a new mate.

If we lose a pigeon due to illness, we always try to show the mate their body to help them accept their loss.

Thank you for caring for her body. That was so kind of you.

·
Registered
875 Posts
that is so sad!he will be missing his lady pigeon a lot,if he is friendly try talking to him for a bit,ok he may not understand what you say but if you speak to him it may take his mind off his loss until he finds a new freind

·
Registered
670 Posts
I agree with others that animals grieve just as we do, and I also agree with tuxedo about talking with him. They really do understand. Some of my ferals come over to me if I call them mentally (like if I'm feeding and a certain individual hasn't shown up yet). If you have access to flower essences like Rescue Remedy, you can spray that around the nest; homeopathic ignatia is good for grief (I'd put a couple of pellets in his water dish, if he has one).

Jennifer

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
I am so sorry. What a horrible thing to have happened.

A couple of years ago I had to separate a hen from her mate for a time, and his joy when she returned to the aviary was amazing, I posted a video of it on You Tube because his reaction was so touching. http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZtxPaOMNAQ

Sadly, some months later Harry (the hen) died and I was very concerned about the effect her loss would have on her mate Bugsy. Within 3 weeks he had a new mate, but he hadn't sought out an unattached hen...he managed to lure Homer, Gryffindor's mate, to his nest. Gryffindor then teamed up with Cilla, who had been dismissed by her mate Elvis when he took up with a young white hen called Beatriz...

Well, the point I am trying to make is that although pigeons feel deep emotions they are also very adaptable.

Cynthia

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thank you for all the answers. Today when I got home, he is still there. I guess he is in grieving process like you said,Lady Tarheel and Charis. I wish he will go through this soon.

tuxedobaby and Jennifer... today I try to talk to him, and you are right! he listen! he looks at me but I don't think he understand.... anyway it may take his mind off his mate for a while. I also feed him with some seed (Wild Bird Food Mix) and I'm so happy to see him eating. I guess he must be hungry because he doesn't go anywhere to look for food like usual.
Is it good to feed him? I don't want him to depend on me because I travel a lot. I don't want him to lose his instinct!

Thank you Cynthia, for a lovely video, the reaction was so touching! I'm glad that you can managed to capture this moment.

Following is a picture of him, Papa Cute, today.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
He will move on! They will grieve, then they move on. I lost my best breeder hen yesterday and today the mate has found a new girlfriend. It is easy to get attached to them, isn't it?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You guy are right!!! He is moving on.

Today I came back from my trip and found out that he has a new lady in that balcony (his home).
It's been about 1 week since he lost his last girlfriend, today he is happy again and I'm happy for him too.

Thank you for all your response, he is fine now.

Attachments

·
Registered
967 Posts
He will move on! They will grieve, then they move on. I lost my best breeder hen yesterday and today the mate has found a new girlfriend. It is easy to get attached to them, isn't it?
Yes, it is very easy, I lost my hen a couple of weeks ago, almost a month. I didn't have anymore hens, but Just got somemore and the cock is courting right now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts