Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So now that spring has sprung and its been nice out we got rid of a swing set in an open garage type shed the pijis have been staying at night. They havent been as many here but now they stay on the roof gutters and coo all day which is gettin really annoying! Some of them are going in the shed during the day and sleeping on the cement ground as well. I figured if I got rid of the source they would go. NOT QUITE!
Any ideas? I am not looking to harm them or anything just want them gone cause they are destroying everything back there and we can't have a nice backyard or shed.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Is your back yard have source of food? I mean do you put feeder around? You can scare them away by putting fake owls or flying kite that resemble a Hawk but you need to not keep it permanent because the birds will tend to learn that its fake and will eventually be back in your yard.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its been a problem here for a long time. They took over a swing set that was put in years ago in an open garage type deal. We got rid of EVERYTHING back there so they have no place to perch and roost. Waited until spring to do it, didn't have the heart in the dead of winter. I have only put out bread and other things out when trying to catch injured ones but they do not know my yard as a food source, at least as long as I know of. They stay on top of the shed sometimes now and stare in my one window looking for me. I swear now I believe someone had to have fed them here before and just lied about it but the neighbor who shares the yard says they have been trying to get them gone for a long time now. I have been here for going on 4 months now. Although the majority of them aren't around there are still a good 10-15 that are. The owl didn't work. I was going to try pinwheels, not sure how to hang up a flying kite?? It won't stay up too long lol.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Well, can you close off the garage with wire fencing, probably just have to do it for a little while, until they find another roost. Someone at some time was probably feeding them, before you moved in. And do you have a hose? The garage is their roost, and I know you only fed them a couple of times, but that makes them hope that you will feed them again. Close off the garage, and if you do have access to a hose, try spraying them. You're going to have to scare them so that it doesn't seem so appealing there anymore.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't have a hose and not sure I could spray them even if I did. I am not a huge pigeon fan but I am indeed a sap haha.
No way to close off the garage. Its too large , its like a 2 and a half car garage thats very very tall. I will try something though.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I don't have a hose and not sure I could spray them even if I did. I am not a huge pigeon fan but I am indeed a sap haha.
No way to close off the garage. Its too large , its like a 2 and a half car garage thats very very tall. I will try something though.
Spraying them wouldn't hurt them. Just scare them or annoy them so that they wouldn't find it so comfortable there. Well...........those are your options. Scare them away, or block out their roosting site. They see it as their home, and they're not going to leave.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Its possible that the birds that hang around are the ones that was born in your shed. Buy a balloon and let it hang out there specially before night time and before the birds roost for the night, you have to keep moving the balloon around to make it look like its alive the bigger the balloon the better. Remove the balloon when you don't see any birds, and always put it out when the birds are present. Hope this help.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
That's funny. LOL. I guess they didn't read the book?:D

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Try a tenis ball you don't have to through it at them just by them to scare them away. It could take awhile.
Dave
Yes. A tennis ball should work.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts