Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A new member posted this qustion on a PM, but it was directed to the forum, so I will share so that everyone can respond:

birds+me=happy said:
Hi all,
I was just wondering how many pigeons I can fit in my 10 foot wide, 10 foot long, and 12 foot high loft. I would be greatfull for any advice.:eek:

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
I would say anywhere from 50-75 birds with 75 being a maximum without over crowding. Why such a tall loft? 12 ft will make it very difficult to catch the birds for crating or handling them.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
First of all, you do NOT want a 12 ft high loft.........second, if these are flying birds, about 50 is max. If these are prisoner or show birds, I would keep it down to about 40................

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
2 sq ft per bird is a luxury I don't have and if I had more space I would probably try to fit as many as can anyway but without over crowding of course, LOL. I think 1 1/2 sq ft per bird is just right. IMO

...I'm acutally thinking about building my second loft!....we'll see what the wife thinks....lol.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I bet I could fit 1,000 birds in there easily. As long as you stack them right! HAHAHA j/k

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
thats a good one!!!!!!

·
Guardian Angel
10,523 Posts
I bet I could fit 1,000 birds in there easily. As long as you stack them right! HAHAHA j/k

ROFL :p There is always ONE in every crowd...

I'm all for the most room as possible! Crowding is just asking for trouble!!

And, I agree, that height is too high...(and, NO pun intended on the above picture!!)

Shi/Squeaks/Dom/Gimie/Woe :)

·
Registered
690 Posts
LOL at the photo. But back to the post.

How many birds will live in a loft that size. As long as there is a perch for each bird (a few extras would be nice too) the birds will be happy. But do not over croud. The more air/floor space a pigeon has the happer it will be. If a roof can be placed inside the loft just higher than your head, the birds will be much easyer to catch and will not be as wild. They will soon learn how high your reach is.:eek: Also the space above roof will act as ventalation area. Just leave part of the inside roof as screen. The screen area can also be closed off in winter to help preserve "body heat"

·
Registered
385 Posts
Thanks for the advise. I'm kinda' new here so I just didn't post the question on this thing because I don't know how to. If anyone could tell me how to post on this more general.... question.... thing that would be great. Thanks Trees Gray.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Oh, and also, my loft is 12 foot high because thats just how high the cieling is in our barn. It is kinda' hard to catch my birds but I get the job done...........eventually. :D

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Thanks for the advise. I'm kinda' new here so I just didn't post the question on this thing because I don't know how to. If anyone could tell me how to post on this more general.... question.... thing that would be great. Thanks Trees Gray.
Start here:
http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/index.php

Pick the catagory and click on it
At the top of the page on the left you will see a "New Thread" button.....click on that and type away!!

·
Registered
385 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Thanks alot all of you.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.