Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys :) I've always been interested in racing homers even though I keep/kept rollers and highflyers. I was just wondering how many strains of racing pigeons are there? I know there are probably dozens but could someone maybe name the top 10 strains people prefer?

Number 1-10. 1 being the best strain people prefer. I know there are many more than 10 but yeah :)

(This question is just out of curiosity hehe) Thanks :D

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Hey guys :) I've always been interested in racing homers even though I keep/kept rollers and highflyers. I was just wondering how many strains of racing pigeons are there? I know there are probably dozens but could someone maybe name the top 10 strains people prefer?

Number 1-10. 1 being the best strain people prefer. I know there are many more than 10 but yeah :)

(This question is just out of curiosity hehe) Thanks :D
You will get lots of answers here because it will all be based on personal opinions. Probably the truest answer is that there are as many strains as there are breeders. Everyone that has ever put two birds together in an effort to breed better racers has left his/her mark on the sport (both positive and negative). Of course there are the famous ones like Jansen, Fabry, Staff Van Reet, Claessen, etc., etc. The list is endless. The real trick is to find a family of birds that have a successful history in the area you are interested in and then try to make your mark by breeding your own.

It really isn't a matter of a "Top 10" list.

Dan

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
There are SO many different ones. And there really isn't a best or a worst, simply because the horse bred for the course wins the race. Everyone may have strains they do better with than others. Not to mention, just because two birds are labled the same strain, does not mean they are equal in quality.
Another thing to consider is distance. Some strains were bred more for speed, shorter distance, middle, long, extreme long, all around greatness, or even certain physical traits.

So I can't really give you a list of best to worst. BUT I can give you a list of as many as I can think of, and the distance they're typically best at :p

Janssen - short-middle
Meuleman - short-middle
Jan Aarden - long
Stichelbaut - long
Sion - long
Staf Van Reet - short
Huysken Van Reil (HVR) - long
Van Wanroy - long
Van Elsacker - middle
Bekaert - middle

Annnnd there's so many more! -faints-

·
Registered
45 Posts
I like the sion strain. Because they are long distance flyers. They are pretty fast. I notice with this strain that, if the birds is Blue bar or a Check, they fly the best and the quickest. any birds that has mostly white or very light colors are just average speed. This might be with alot of other strian, but this is what I know from sion lol.

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
Anything on black diamonds? Never could find anything on them...
Must not have been that impressive. I suspect a guy somewhere who owned some black pigeons, decided to call them Black Diamonds. If there is not a buck to be made promoting some "strain", then like old soldiers, they just seem to fade away.

Of course, you could start calling your birds Diamonds, or Rubys or whatever name you care to use. I have not heard of anyone copyrighting, or applying for some kind of genetic patent on their strain name.

Best I can figure, there are quite a few thousand strains just here in the USA. Most of them no one has ever heard of and perhaps for good reason. For the most part, many of them are fairly typical pigeons. And when the founder of the strain dies, so does the "strain". Then there is the issue of the misnamed "strains"...but I digress.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Well, I see the name thrown out there a lot "Black Diamonds" but I've never seen any online that are good black pigeons, have you? Thats what I'd like to see and hopefully have is good black pigeons.

·
Registered
810 Posts
If I remember correctly CBS sells (or they used to sell) Black Diamonds. Might check their website and see if they still do.

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
Well, I see the name thrown out there a lot "Black Diamonds" but I've never seen any online that are good black pigeons, have you? Thats what I'd like to see and hopefully have is good black pigeons.
Well, if I decided I wanted to own some black pigeons, then what I would do is look for the best black racer and/or breeder I could get my hands on, and breed from it, rather then searching for some "strain" referred to Diamonds, etc. Get you hands on a couple of them, rtegardless of their "strain" and within a few generations, you could have your own family of black colored pigeons. Again however....I digress.....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Well, if I decided I wanted to own some black pigeons, then what I would do is look for the best black racer and/or breeder I could get my hands on, and breed from it, rather then searching for some "strain" referred to Diamonds, etc. Get you hands on a couple of them, rtegardless of their "strain" and within a few generations, you could have your own family of black colored pigeons. Again however....I digress.....:rolleyes:
Obviously thats the way to go, having the money to do so is a different topic though lol.

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
Obviously thats the way to go, having the money to do so is a different topic though lol.
That is pretty much true with everything in life is it not ? :) If one does not have money, then searching for a "good" black diamond is not going to help, looking for a good black "xyz" is not going to help either. Regardless of by what "name" a black pigeon might go by, if one has no money, one must hope that someone will either give him a "good" black pigeon, or hope someone gives them the money to buy a "good" black pigeon, or any color for that matter. One in such a position, must rely on the charity of others. If one really has no money, then the odds are, they are not racing pigeons, as that does require money to feed, and pay dues, etc. Now, perhaps they have money, but just do not value a "good" pigeon as others might. But, that is a subject for another thread......:cool:

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
That is pretty much true with everything in life is it not ? :) If one does not have money, then searching for a "good" black diamond is not going to help, looking for a good black "xyz" is not going to help either. Regardless of by what "name" a black pigeon might go by, if one has no money, one must hope that someone will either give him a "good" black pigeon, or hope someone gives them the money to buy a "good" black pigeon, or any color for that matter. One in such a position, must rely on the charity of others. If one really has no money, then the odds are, they are not racing pigeons, as that does require money to feed, and pay dues, etc. Now, perhaps they have money, but just do not value a "good" pigeon as others might. But, that is a subject for another thread......:cool:
Well if I wasn't paying for feed, medicine, gas, etc. Then I would have enough money to drop big bills. But since you wrote a nice paragraph about hoping some one gives me a nice pigeon, maybe you oughta step up to the plate and help me out ;) But on the same note, actually one member on here is offering me two free breeding pairs, and my mentor is offering me at least a pair he said, so there are nice guys with good birds out there willing to share and help.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I like the sion strain. Because they are long distance flyers. They are pretty fast. I notice with this strain that, if the birds is Blue bar or a Check, they fly the best and the quickest. any birds that has mostly white or very light colors are just average speed. This might be with alot of other strian, but this is what I know from sion lol.
Sions don't exist anymore and when they did, they were famous for their Reds with the dark eye.

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
Sions don't exist anymore and when they did, they were famous for their Reds with the dark eye.
WOW ! :eek:

You are very direct ! :p

No beating around the bush with you. :)

Depending on the context, I think I should have to agree with you. But, that context can be a hotly debated issue, particularly from all the "Sion" owners with their framed pedigrees, who might just place great value in the name which has been assigned to their pigeons. Besides, if they look at it from a marketing perspective, they know their "Sion" birds will be worth less if they can't have that name attached to it, maybe a lot less.

While it also opens the door for debate as to what is or isn't a "pure" line, of which others claim there is no such thing as a "pure" line. I think to be intellectually honest with ourselves, then the name of the strain should be hyphenated with the breeders which followed the original master. Such as Janssen/Smith, if Mr. Jassen is the starting point, and Mr. Smith is breeding 2nd generation. Or in the case with the strain mentioned the Sion strain might look like Sion/Heitzman, Ressel, Ganus, Smith..etc...etc... In which case, listing the breeders who were making the selections along the family line.

What happens in the pigeon game, is if you tell a guy that his family line that he maybe has been working with for decades, is not what he says it is, then you are just setting yourself up for a fight. He will be insulted, because he has invested a lot of emotional energy into the name of some pigeons. You may be intellectually correct, but in the wacky pigeon world, you may actually make an enemy for life. Any other idea you may have, will be dead wrong from the get go. Because in a strange sort of way, you basically are calling his pigeons a bunch of bastards, because you are saying they are not descended from birds which once were owned by a great pigeon master in a previous century.

It does perhaps beg the question, of what do people really mean, when they ask for the name of a strain, when asking about a family of pigeons ? But, I digress, and the subject of this thread is how many strains are there out there ? If we apply one of the definitions " the body of descendants of a common ancestor, as a family or stock. " then there must be many...many ...tens of thousands of strains out there. Perhaps there are more strains then there are numbers of fanciers as I would really have to ponder the math of this question.

I thought I would add this link: http://www.racingpigeonmall.com/auction/Ad_Schaerlaeckens1.html Where Ad gives a few of his thoughts on this "Strain" name business.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.