Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to this. We raise chickens and ducks and lots of other things, but are just getting started with homing pigeons. We don't want to race, just maybe some dove release events.

My question is how many to get to actually start off with. With chickens you just go buy 20 chicks and get started, but this is obviously different. Should I start with 3 or 4 mating pairs and then move the babies to the young section and train them all at once? Do I just go buy 20 babies and train them? What is the best way to start (after the loft has been built of course)?

Thank you!

·
Registered
463 Posts
I am a pain in that I want all my birds to be able to fly and not have any prisoners. I started with 10 young birds that I trained and I now have 100. If I let them all keep their eggs I would be overloaded with birds. I also raise young for a few guys in my area that race them. It is up to you how many to start with and also if you don't mind keeping prisoners. If you just start with young you have to wait longer to raise young until the birds are old enough. Just the way I did it. Also any new birds I add because I don't race I only get young. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Hi, I'm new to this. We raise chickens and ducks and lots of other things, but are just getting started with homing pigeons. We don't want to race, just maybe some dove release events.

My question is how many to get to actually start off with. With chickens you just go buy 20 chicks and get started, but this is obviously different. Should I start with 3 or 4 mating pairs and then move the babies to the young section and train them all at once? Do I just go buy 20 babies and train them? What is the best way to start (after the loft has been built of course)?

Thank you!
I would go with your first thought. With 3 or 4 pair and train them out. Best of luck with your birds.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.