Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
How many homers do you guys think I can stuff in a 8x4x5' coop before I overstock? I'm hoping to house 6 pairs, is that too much?
16 birds, so 6 pair should be fine. Are they going to be flyers? Breeders/prisoners?
If prisoners, then I would keep the number down to 12. If these are flyers and can get out of the loft daily or almost daily, then 14 to 16 would be ok.

PS: NEVER stuff pigeons in a loft. Overcrowding is one of the worst things you can do to them.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They will be prisoners first. Once I get the babies to settle in they will be flying constantly. The loft can be split into two sections so I guess I will split the genders up during winter and disperse the babies between the sections. I like to keep a small loft not because it costs less but because I feel it forces me to cull those I don't want to prevent overstocking.

What do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
They will be prisoners first. Once I get the babies to settle in they will be flying constantly. The loft can be split into two sections so I guess I will split the genders up during winter and disperse the babies between the sections. I like to keep a small loft not because it costs less but because I feel it forces me to cull those I don't want to prevent overstocking.

What do you guys think?
Well, I think you better not be talking about "culling" as in killing, because IF YOU are...you are breaking forum rules, as this IS a "pigeon friendly" website.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts

What do you guys think?
You need to remember you need room for the young birds as well, so if you stock it full of breeders you will not have room for the babies. And they add up quick. I think the more room the better off you will be in the long run.:)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes that is true, but our yard space is limited. We got the my mom's garden growing and she raises TONS of veggies, and my brother's bonfire pit, and the shed and etc. Just a lot of junk, I'm fighting to squeeze me loft in there, LOL.
That's the disadvantage for being a high school student.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Yes that is true, but our yard space is limited. We got the my mom's garden growing and she raises TONS of veggies, and my brother's bonfire pit, and the shed and etc. Just a lot of junk, I'm fighting to squeeze me loft in there, LOL.
That's the disadvantage for being a high school student.
well just keep in mind the TOATAL birds you can have in that space, then the breeding has to stop after that. can't start with 16 birds and breed babies and end up with 20 something in a space that should only have 12 to 16.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Since you are only going to have 16, three breeding pair is all you need.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.