Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
5,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My cat caught a little laughing dove yesterday. It weighs about 55g, still a baby. Got hold of Betamox, and according to the label, 5 ml of the mixed suspension contains 125 mg of amoxycillin. I gave the bird 0.05ml this evening. Is this the correct amount? According to what I've read: must be given twice a day for 5 days.

There's also a large bare patch between the legs with missing feathers and skin. No internal injuries, it ate a bit last night by itself and pooping ok. What will be the best way to treat this wound?

Thanks.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Hello Marina B, thanks for taking care of the dove.
From what I could gather around here, you need to give 50-80 mg of amoxycillin in a day, for 1 kg of bird. That means around 5 mg for your bird. So 0.2 ml per day, or 0.1 ml twice a day.
So you can double your amount, to 0.1 ml twice a day.
Baytril (enrofloxacin) is, I think, a better choice than amoxy, so if you can get hold of baytril, it would be better.
You can gently wash the wound with warm saline water, then apply some ointment, like an antibiotic ointment, or one with iodine in it. Afterwards, till the wound has healed properly, you need to keep it dry all the time. If you have antibiotic powder, you can dust the wound with it a few times daily, to keep the wound dry and infection-free.
Also, keep the dove in a warm quiet place and handle him/her only when necessary.
Hope she recovers soon. Good luck!

·
Registered
5,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The baby is still alive, but not getting better. Sitting with eyes closed, feathers ruffled - typical signs of infection. Had to start handfeeding, it stopped eating by itself. Is very constipated as well. Is the bird getting enough antibiotics? Don't know what more I can do?

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
The dove needs 9mg two times a day. The dose is 150mg/1000grams. The higher dose kunju suggested would be way too high. I hope the doves survives. Keep him on a heating pad set on low.

·
Registered
5,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
?

I'm a bit confused now. According to the label on the bottle: 5ml contains 125mg amoxy. So 1 ml contains 25mg. Now if the bird needs 9mg twice a day, that means I have to give it 0.4ml twice a day. That's even a much higher dose than the one Kunju suggested.

·
Registered
959 Posts
So sorry to hear about your bird. Can you get baytril (enrofloxacin) by any chance? It works better on pigeons instead of amoxycillin. Perhaps for doves too.
What are you handfeeding, maybe it can give us clues about the reason for constipation. Make a little applesauce by steaming apple pieces, and feed him a few pieces. This will probably ease his stomach and aid in elimination. Also give him plenty of water, in case you are feeding solid food.
The dosage - I got the information from old posts on amoxycillin here on PT. Hope it is not an overdosage problem.
You are doing the best possible for your dove, and I am sure he is extremely thankful to you. Keep him warm and comfortable, and let's hope he pulls through.
If you can search for metronidazole, it would be good to give it for canker, just in case. Though this looks like infection from the cat attack itself, the bird could have become prey to the cat because of another infection like canker.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Since he is constipated, it is best to take it slowly on the feeding. Give some applesauce, observe his crop for emptiness, check if he is pooping. After you are sure the crop is empty, give him a small feeding, and again check for crop emptying and pooping. If crop is not emptying, do not feed further, but give the applesauce and massage his crop, and check after a while if food is coming out the other end as poop. Feed only when crop empties.

·
Registered
5,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Kunju,

I have Baytril (label says 1ml to a l - whatever that means?), but I've read amoxy is a better option to use when catbites are involved? Also have meditrich, was actually thinking about canker today. Feeding the bird Animalzone (handrearing formula for baby birds) and some pronutro porridge as well. Bird is pooping better now, but looks as if there's a bit of blockage at the cloaca. Poop's colour is dark green with yellow urates - not good. So either I'm overdosing or it has canker. So difficult to administer the correct amount. Will it be safe to use amoxy or baytril with the meditrich? To be honest, I never expected the bird to still be alive. Every morning I expect to find it dead, but the little guy is still hanging in there.

Thanks for your help-appreciated!

·
Registered
959 Posts
Glad that he has begun pooping. If the poops are dry, try making the baby formula thinner in consistency.
I think you have the kind of baytril solution which is used to treat a flock - adding 1 ml of it for every liter of drinking water provided. I just searched now, and I too found a post saying amoxy works well for cat bites. Here-
http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/f20/f...at-desperately-seeking-extra-input-44253.html
If you look at the post by Feefo, it's said that you can dose amoxy upto 125 mg per kilo per day, so I don't feel it could be an overdosage.
Please start on the meditrich.
Yellow urates could mean canker, which meditrich (metronidazole) will take care. Dosage is 50mg in a single daily dose, for 10 days. Since it is a baby, perhaps 20 mg would suffice.
I don't know if this is a good suggestion, but perhaps you could try stopping feeding the porridge, and feed only the baby food, and see if the poops improve.
Hope he hangs in there!

·
Registered
5,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes,

He is still hanging in there. Yesterday afternoon, looked so well-started preening itself and more alert. Today, not so well again. Sort of wobbly, weak. I've increased the amoxy to 0.2 ml twice a day. Also given it some applesauce. Will start with metronidazole tomorrow. Tomorrow will be a week since it was attacked......

·
Registered
5,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The bird is very weak and unbalanced. It did not poop at all last night, this morning I fed it applesauce and later on it produced 2 poops (bit sour smelling, so I suspect sour crop). I also gave it some Nystacin with 10mg Metronidazole.

I've stopped giving it Amoxycillin, don't know if this is good or bad. It's almost a week since the bird has been on the antibiotics. What worries me, the amoxy I got, has like 3g of sugar per 5 ml. I'm sure this can't be good. Small town, only one pharmacy and they are limited.

I will keep you updated, thanks for enquiring. Read the thread about your Rudy - sad!!!

·
Registered
959 Posts
I'm so sad hearing that. Can you feel his crop and check if there is food inside? IF there is, wait for it to empty completely before giving any more foodd. For my Rudy, the crop never emptied, and I did not know to flush her crop either.
I don't recommend flushing now, since your bird is already weak. All I can think of is to keep her on a heating pad, and give her good rest. Hopefully the Nystatin will do some good. Nystatin works best on empty stomach. No food for 2 hours after administering Nystatin.
If it is a yeast infection, it is best not to give the amoxy. Im praying for your little guy.

·
Registered
5,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks. I'm starting to think the balance issue is not from weakness. I think it might have a broken tailbone. I've read a few threads about this. The tail is always hanging limp when I have the bird in my hand and when it's lying down, at an angle from the body. But then it was not like that when I first got the bird. It was able to walk a bit and also ate seeds that first night. This only started on day 4, and there's no way the bird could have injured itself.

At least it's not sitting with closed eyes like it used to. Also trying to eat seeds, but can't. Pooping also much better today, not so green anymore. I'll continue with the Metro and Nystacid. How much do you recommend I should feed? Will 10 ml three times a day be ok? I've handraised pigeons before, but this is the first dove.

I took photo's, but having difficulty attaching them. Will try again later.

·
Registered
5,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Have done some more reading. I searched under "botulism" and read a thread posted by katvdm (also from SA). My bird shows exactly the same symptoms. What's the best way to treat this? Hope it's not too late, it just had a seizure, I thought it was dying. But ok for now.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
You shouldn't stop the antibiotic. It needs to be given for at least 10 days. How do the poops look? If it has canker, that too can cause a blockage. It will also smell sour. Needs to be treated for canker. It might be reacting to the cat bite.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I'm afraid I don't have experience of botulism. I just googled right now but I couldn't find any similarities. I found a site which said that a bird which survives the first 48 hours of the poisoning, will likely survive. This is the site:
http://www.birdtrader.co.uk/bird_advice/identifying-treating-avian-botulism/502

As long as the poops are coming and his crop is emptying, you can give the food. Take care that the crop is empty when you feed, and since we are suspecting sour crop, it is best to give him smaller amounts.

Sour crop can be because of yeast, bacteria or canker. It is difficult to know which is the culprit.
The tail may not be broken. I sometimes find myself getting paranoid over my birds' tails the same way. They hang it limp when sick I guess - it is part of that hunched stance.
Hope he gets well soon!

·
Registered
5,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Bird is quite ok at the moment. It's sitting on a piece of wood with sarongs on either side so that it does not fall over and it's looking quite happy. I got hold of Amoxy in capsule form (went behind the counter myself at the pharmacy to check what they have). Gave it a dose of about 9mg tonight and will do that twice a day. I've read somewhere if you don't do the full course of antibiotics, you have to restart the whole course, so I'll continue for 10 days.

Poops are almost ok. Not so green like it used to be and the urates are whitish.
I'll also continue with Nystasin first thing in the morning, and then later feeding with 10mg of Metronidazole for another 12 days.

Hopefully the bird will recover it's balance. Will let you know what happens along the way.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts