Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My only bird experience: A few months ago, I raised a mockingbird from 4 days old to release. His nest was abandoned (dead chicks in the nest) and he was the only one left, so I took him in and was quite taken with the little guy. It was such a joy interacting with him!

A few days ago, a friend asked if I'd take in another bird. His Mom found one on the ground after a stormy day, so I said I would with out knowing what it was.

It's a mourning dove. By my estimation, I believe he's around 10 -14 days old. He's feathered but some weren't unfolded when I got him. He's gotten a good bit more feathers in the 3 days I've had him. I've got him warm and secluded.

I'm feeding him Kaytee Extract and boy, he's an enthusiastic eater!! I'm using a syringe with the end cut off and he goes to town. The mocking bird would eat a few bites every 40 minutes, but this mourning dove seems to eat and eat as long as food is given.

It's hard to tell when his crop is full, and I hate to think I'm over feeding him, but he always seems hungry.

SO my questions are:
1) Any idea how much I should be feeding him?
3) How often? The mocking bird was every 30-40 minutes all day long, but it seems doves are every few hours?
4) Seeds.... when to introduce seeds? Small Finch seeds?
5) I gave him a bath and he loved it and drank some of the water, so should I put a water dish for him?

Sorry if these are silly questions but I want to do my best for the little guy.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Put some seeds down and peck at them with your finger to show him what to do. He will learn quickly to pick them up.
As far as how much to feed in formula, you need to feed till the crop is about 3/4 full, or feel like a soft pillow. Leave some seed down and see if he will pick it up. They wean early in the wild.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Try the seeds in the morning when he is hungry. If he doesn't eat them, then you will have to hand feed. Pigeons learn from watching their parents and others.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts