Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
I have friends that reuse old bands on younger birds, so a band does not necessarilly tell you the true age of the bird. All you know for sure is that the bird is no older than the date on the band.
The oldest bird I have is banded and is a 1996 born, white homer, that is still producing young birds.
I call it my Methusela pigeon.
Keith

·
Registered
857 Posts
But you can't tell on a really old bird if the band is off by a few years and some birds like people look much younger or older than they are.
Even nest mates can look dramatically different from each other age wise.
Keith

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
How the hell do they reuse band? Do they cut their leg to get stuff out?

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
well when the bird dies you cut the leg off and keep the band and some people use them again because it is better to have a band then no band right?
:eek::eek::eek:

My oldest known pigeon is Homer, who is banded either '96 or '97, I'm pretty sure he's a '97 though (I'll have to double check). He has an '07 mate and they raised some oops babies last year just fine. His eyesight isn't so great, indeed he is blind in his right eye, but he still gets around fine and sure knows how to romance the ladies. :cool:

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
My Traveler was the oldest bird that I personally ever knew. He was AU 1987 and died at the age of 21. I am pretty sure that Traveler really was 21 years old as I had him for about 13 years after he ended up with me. I did track down the club he was registered with but since they only kept records for 5 years, they couldn't trace the band .. Traveler was already older than that when I got him. I currently have several pigeons that are in the 12-18 year age range, and I am quite confident that they are really that old.

Terry

·
Registered
386 Posts
Oldest I ever raised was a 1956 bird that died in 1979.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts