Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
I did post on this thread too but it disappeared--nowwhere--- Well Pawbla I will glad when you get the droppings tested at school but those pictures on the other thread cutie or something sure don't look sick to me and maybe the males eat more than the females and I think it is the food you have been feeding him because of your budget--that kibble I would take him off and feed him seed and I think this would make a whole lot of difference : small peas. small corns..millet,soy barley oats, wheat, and sunflower seeds unhusked plus hardboiled eggs, baby peas and carrots, wheat bread, rice, peanuts,soy,---you have such a big collection here---take him off that cheap corn based kibble and put him on small seed and I just bet that will make a difference and he won't be hungry all the time---he nots getting his nutrition---put him on seed for he looks beautiful in that picture a little greasey from the dog kibble and he really needs seed at this time..I don't think he has worms he looks too good....c.hert

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I did post on this thread too but it disappeared--nowwhere--- Well Pawbla I will glad when you get the droppings tested at school but those pictures on the other thread cutie or something sure don't look sick to me and maybe the males eat more than the females and I think it is the food you have been feeding him because of your budget--that kibble I would take him off and feed him seed and I think this would make a whole lot of difference : small peas. small corns..millet,soy barley oats, wheat, and sunflower seeds unhusked plus hardboiled eggs, baby peas and carrots, wheat bread, rice, peanuts,soy,---you have such a big collection here---take him off that cheap corn based kibble and put him on small seed and I just bet that will make a difference and he won't be hungry all the time---he nots getting his nutrition---put him on seed for he looks beautiful in that picture a little greasey from the dog kibble and he really needs seed at this time..I don't think he has worms he looks too good....c.hert
Well, you were so sure before that you convinced me. I was never actually convinced that he had worms, but it wouldn't have hurt to worm if it was possible. I've answered everything else about that on the other thread.
He's dirty in the pics because I hadn't cleaned him after feeding :p.
And hey, the kibble is not that bad or cheap, lol. It's a fairly good food actually. Nothing awesome or fancy (it's not Eukanuba-price definitely lol) but it's not a two dollars bag :p. Of course not best thing for doves, but we've already gone through that :p.

Thanks PigeonLove!

Covenant Loft, how soon after birth.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
I deworm young ones after they are 30 days old, I keep a track on my excel file and check it on daily basis.

Flock treatment is done every 6 months apart for the birds under 30 days a repeat dose after 10 days.

New birds are kept separate for 12 - 14 days, dewormed on day 1 and day 10 unless there are any other disease symptoms

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Foy's says not to worm until at least 4 months. I'd go with that, unless you have reason to believe that they really need it.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Maybe it depends on the drug used, too.
I'll take that recommendation into account.
Well they didn't specify the drug used. Any drug that will kill worms is a poison. It just makes sense they a young bird shouldn't have it unless really needed.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Yes, you're right on that one. But unless you need to worm a baby or very young bird, why do it?

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
After 30 days is what advised by the vet doctors here, if the pigeon has been infested with worm and if you wait till the fourth month to treat them, that doesn't make sense. I have been treating all baby birds once they are 30 days old and I haven't come across any issue of using a dewormer at that age.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
After 30 days is what advised by the vet doctors here, if the pigeon has been infested with worm and if you wait till the fourth month to treat them, that doesn't make sense. I have been treating all baby birds once they are 30 days old and I haven't come across any issue of using a dewormer at that age.
Sreeshs, I only said that UNLESS there was a reason to worm them, then it's better to wait. Of course if the pigeon is infested with worms, you would have to worm them. That's a given. The worms could cause more harm than the wormer. If there is a reason to believe that they have worms, then I would think it better to worm. But if you have no reason to worm why not wait? Why give ANY wormer or medication to a baby bird for no reason? If there is no indication that they need it, why not wait?

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Sreeshs, I only said that UNLESS there was a reason to worm them, then it's better to wait. Of course if the pigeon is infested with worms, you would have to worm them. That's a given. The worms could cause more harm than the wormer. If there is a reason to believe that they have worms, then I would think it better to worm. But if you have no reason to worm why not wait? Why give ANY wormer or medication to a baby bird for no reason? If there is no indication that they need it, why not wait?
You are right there but many times a visual indication may not occur even if the worms are present. Ofcourse fecal tests can be done to determine whether there is infestation and then provide dewormer but its a whole lot of work and money to get the fecal tests done for all new borns to determine presence of worms

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I guess it depends on where you are, and the conditions the birds are kept in. I keep a clean loft, and my adults are wormed, so there would be no reason to suspect a worm infestation in my babies. Just passing on info that I read, and it makes sense to me.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Another thought would be that if a very young bird were found outside, he would be more likely to have worms. He could need to be wormed sooner. Just all depends.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts