Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
I have a male and female (correspondingly blood sexed as male/ laying eggs) who I have had in separate cages within sight and sound of each other for over a year while I have addressed some chronic medical issues for the female. Both birds' health is now stable and I allowed them out of their cages together for the first time today (previously took turns having "out time"). The female has been laying eggs ever since I brought her home and has always shown keen interest in the male. They immediately engaged in all the typical prancy dances, hooting, cooing, bowing, billing, all that. And are now assuming The Position and apparently getting down on their first date. How long should I allow before I attempt to put them both in a large double flight cage? The male is surprisingly well behaved but becomes upset when the hen enters one of the bird carriers I have on the floor, which he uses on vet trips, and he chases her out. Though the hen is also trying to get into the male's cage, he would obviously not respond well to having another pigeon in there yet. My instinct is to prevent them from mating until they are both ready to live in the same cage, but not sure if the necessary bonding happens after mating?

(Also, these are 2 rescues, and I will not be breeding them. I have birth control practices already in place. This coupling is only meant to keep them both happy and hopefully minimize the loud hooting of the bachelor cock if nothing else.)

1 - 1 of 1 Posts