Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday i found a baby pigeon in my house, i tried to feed it some soaked lentils,banana but it is getting afraid of me and not eating anything. i also tried to make it drink some water with help of straw but it is not even opening its beak. Also its poop is watery.
I am afraid that it will die of hunger what should i and how should i feed it?
Please help i really want to save that young pigeon

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also it is quite afraid of me, it moves up and down when i move closer and attacks with its beak when i try to feed it some stuff. How to make it comfortable with me?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
someone who knows about bird feeding kindly reply otherwise the baby pigeon might die. The
bird hasn't eaten for 2 days.

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
Can you get hold of frozen green peas? Defrost in warm water till soft. You need to put him on your lap against your body facing to the right, if you are righthanded. Reach with your lefthand over his body and head and open the beak with those fingers. Have a pea ready in your righthand and put deep inside his beak over the tongue. If he spits it out, you need to put it deeper. It's quite easy once you get the hang of it. Peas have lots of moisture, so they don't really need water. Although you can dip the tip of his beak (not over the nostrils) in a small bowl of water.

Feed him 90 peas per day, divided into 3 meals of 30 each. Only feed when the crop empties. There should be plenty of droppings inbetween feeding. Can you post a photo of him?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank u for guiding.
Now its night here, i will post a photo in the morning.
I tried to make it drink water by this method but it was attacking, but i will try this again tomorrow. Maybe it will eat peas.
I really appreciate that u helped. Again thanks a lot.

·
Registered
69 Posts
It's normal for pigeon to be afraid of you and/or slapping you with wings and attacking you with beak. Wrap pigeon in a cloth like tortilla, only head should be peeking out. Then open his beak with one hand and with other put the defrosted peas in it (in the back of his beak), one by one.
You can also blend some cornmeal and other grains like buckwheat, millet, dari, and small amount of seeds. Add some water and make pea sized balls and feed it like you would feed peas.

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
He is very young, still a baby! You can also look on youtube "how to feed baby pigeon". He will probably be keen on getting fed with a cut-off syringe as you will see in the videos. Then you can make a blend like Zumii suggested. Add peas to this to make a slurry. If he is not keen getting fed by a syringe, then handfeed the peas.

Give him a soft blanket to lay on.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I fed it with peas, it was a bit difficult to open its beak as it was moving its head from left to right continuously.
But i managed to feed it its first meal of 15 peas. I will give it some more after a hour or two.
I will surely try the millet mix.
I have kept a cloth on other side of carton but it prefers to sit in the corner on cardboard.
Also should i peal the thin layer over pea and then feed or can i directly feed them without pealing?

I really thank both of you (@Marina B and @Zumii) for helping me

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
You can feed the peas as they are. If they seem too big, you can split them in too. He is very young, 25 peas might be sufficient for him three times a day. Can you take a flashlight to check inside his beak and back of the throat for yellowish growths? Canker is very common, but can be treated. Is he swallowing ok?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes he was able to swallow. after 2-3 peas i was just putting peas at half length of its beak and it was able to swallow.
Yet i will check for those yellowish growths and update about it.

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
You can start leaving a small dish of peas with him. He will soon start eating them by himself. Are you planning on keeping him? You are doing the easy part now, releasing him will be more complicated.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok i will surely keep a dish with some peas.
i think it will be better if i would release it. Why is releasing 'more complicated'?

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
He never had the chance to follow his parents around to teach him where to find food, water and shelter. Ideally, if you do a soft release then he needs to spend time outside in an aviary to get used to the environment. After releasing you still need to supply him with food for he will probably return. But you still have a long way to go. No release for the next two months.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Let's see where the time leads. If u will help me like this then maybe i am able to release him successfully.
I sincerely thank u to spend ur precious time to guide me.
Also can i feed him with something else other than peas?

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
He will be fine on the peas for now, however he will benefit from vitamins and calcium for birds. I don't know if you will be able to get hold of some. When he starts eating the peas, you can add some small seeds to the peas. A doveseed mixture will be perfect.

·
Registered
69 Posts
For a release, I always do the same. Firstly, you need to be sure pigeon can fly very good. Second, he'll need a bath or two in the water (put some medium bowl with water out so he can bath in it) so he can build himself a dust witch makes them waterproof.
Then, go find a big flock of pigeons, feed them every day at the same location at the same time, for about one week before releasing new pigeon. Then go and release new pigeon in that flock when feeding them. See how him and they react to each other, if he is expected etc.
Then go for at least one week after release to the location with food (seeds and grains) and see if he's OK.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My neighborhood pigeons are not that friendly with humans. If i am close enough to them even with food, they will fly away. People in my neighborhood usually throw grains at an elevated platform in park and pigeons come back to eat only when they have left park. Even the slightest movement and all of them will fly away.
But i'll give it a shot when he is big enough.
Thank u

1 - 20 of 65 Posts