Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just in general,
i just got my 2 new white homers yesterday aged 29 days that's all i have,
il never be racing them its just for something nice to look at and care for.

what food
how much food
loft conditions
extra supplements
health care

just a bit of general knowledge
what to do, and not to do.

thanks

ive started to trap train them and i whistle and rattle a wee bottle of food when i feed them and go into them,

il put pics up after of my loft. (not really a loft)

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
First of all, you need to make it predator proof. You can't let anything get in to the birds. And they do need good ventilation, but they also need to be kept out of strong drafts. Clean food and water daily that no rodents can get into. A good quality grit with calcium, and oyster shell or some other form of calcium. They will make your birds very sick, and rats and snakes will kill them. Keeping it clean will help keep down disease and sickness. Are you going to let them out, or do you plan on adding an aviary where they can get out into the sunlight? Sunlight is important for Vitamin D or they won't be able to process the calcium they need. Some people feed twice daily and let them eat for 20 or 30 minutes I think. Some leave food for them all day. Pick it up at night, as more mice and rats and different night creatures will be prowling then. The loft needs to be kept dry, as moisture breeds bacteria. If it were a driving rain, how would you keep it out of that loft that you posted? Do you have a way of closing it? Let them bathe in clean water a few times a week. Worming them a couple of times a year, dusting or spraying for mites and lice every few months is also good. Having a few meds on hand before you need them is smart. I'd start with something for worming, coccidiosis, and canker meds. I know many will have lots of ideas to share.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts