Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our vet recommended we make this change. We have six very stubborn pigeons. I have gradually decreased the seeds and increased the pellets but they seem to be losing weight, refusing so far Harrisons,Rowdybush, and now Zupreem. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
795 Posts
hello. i got sugestion: open the beak of each bird and give one kind of food to all birds. then put that same kind in front of them in measured amounts all in one flat dish. enough for 1 pigeon, not six. As soon as u see it dissapear, give them their reward with good seeds. then next day: more new seeds like today's , but more, then reward again if they finish the new seeds.
Try that with the other brandss: forcefeed, test, reward. why force feed? because thats how pigeons feed their young, sort of. i got mine to eat penuts, barley , rabbit pellets, lentills, chicken pellets, almonds, rice, sunflower seeds. thnks.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hamlet, thank you. Will try that! Am concerned because some seem to be eating very little andisure dont want them to starve to death while i am trying to get them to eat healthier pelleted food.

·
Registered
795 Posts
hello. pellet foods make soft poop. and makes them drink more. may have a new odor to the droppings also. pellets worked during breeding for me. thnks.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you. Am trying to get them to not breed because one just had surgery for retained eggs with removal of her uterus. Vet wants me to change to pellets. Am also covering the shed to reduce light to 8 hrs per day and trying to feed less.

·
Registered
470 Posts
They won’t starve to death. I would just cut them off from seeds until they’re used to the pellets. If I get a seed mix with safflower my birds will pick them all out and attempt a hunger strike.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It amazes me how they eat all the seeds they used to avoid, when faced with pellets. Am ready to try switching them to just pellets. Today, put a tiny bit of seed underthezupreem pellets and sprinkled ground zupreem over their food. Gave them hours to eat. They had hardly any poop. Was going to reinforce them with seeds but they refused the pellets.

·
Registered
795 Posts
hello. i am sorry u didnt try forcefeeding/handfeeding manually. since i last wrote, i thought a young rescue to eat soaked walnuts and almonds, seasoned with pink salt. high protein makes my birds happy for breeding, same with my chikens. if only they could watch another pigeon eating the processed food. how much protein in these pellets? i agree with bootface. thnks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Our vet recommended we make this change. We have six very stubborn pigeons. I have gradually decreased the seeds and increased the pellets but they seem to be losing weight, refusing so far Harrisons,Rowdybush, and now Zupreem. Any suggestions?
I have many too. Some are stubborn. 😉. I mix a bunch of different pellets including Zupreem for medium birds in reg , nut flavor, veggie blend and I will mix in some rowdy bush or Harrison’s pellets too. I still add about 10% of kaytee pigeon and dove seed and a small mix of sunflower and safflower to the ones that need to add some weight. Attaching a photo of my mix. 90% is pellets.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know these are the ones they refuse, but the different flavors made a huge difference. What were you feeding them?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, try 2 things!! My birds wouldnt eat the pelleted food, so I just threw it on the ground and for some reason it changed their minds. I give then 1/2 and 1/2 and they like!!! Secondly use a little powered cinnamon not much just to sprinkle over the pellets for a couple of times (cinnamon is good for them but dont over due it). C if the flavor will change their minds. My birds will eat any thing if I put cinnamon as a flavor, or find a flovor they can eat daily until they will intake the pellets!! Hope this helps U!!!!

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Was feeding them Winners Cup pigeon mix (seeds) before. Will try a little cinnamon and will try force feeding a piece of the zupreem to them. They just pick out the 1/8 tsp ofseeds and leave the zupreem, right now. They seem like they would rather starve than switch. Have tried Harrisons, Rowdybush, and now zupreem cockatiel. Our first pigeon, Phoebe, loved Zupreem cockatiel.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts