Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I resuced two doves last week and one has a wound on its chest just under her neck that she will not leave alone. I have tried the sweater vest idea, and a vet tried a collar, all to no avail. She finds a way to get under the vest and was able to extricate herself from the collar. I did some research and a product called "Blu-kote" says it will cover the wound and deter pecking but it was for chickens. (I know we use a similar product on the horses.) Does anyone know if there is any danger to trying this on a dove?:confused:

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
I resuced two doves last week and one has a wound on its chest just under her neck that she will not leave alone. I have tried the sweater vest idea, and a vet tried a collar, all to no avail. She finds a way to get under the vest and was able to extricate herself from the collar. I did some research and a product called "Blu-kote" says it will cover the wound and deter pecking but it was for chickens. (I know we use a similar product on the horses.) Does anyone know if there is any danger to trying this on a dove?:confused:
Well, you're gonna have a purplish dove, but Blu-Kote is safe .. it's Gentian Violet. My friend, Bart, uses Blu-Kote for just about everything with good success. I have no idea how Blu-Kote would stop pecking of the area, but it won't harm the bird .. will just make it a very colorful dove!

If the collar was put on in the traditional way .. I'd try putting it on upside down .. ie .. instead of the large end of the "funnel" going up .. make it go down and shorten it up if necessary.

Terry

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
Hi kippermom,

What are you doing for the wound?

What kind of wound is it?

Part of why I'm asking, is, if it is not being kept moist with a topical antibiotic cream or ointment, the wound can dry and not heal as well or as neatly, and it can also itch as it is starting to heal.

Silvasulfadine...or Neosporin, are very good for preventing dessication and promoting suppleness while healing, and, also, preventing itching at the same time.

Good luck..!

Phil
l v

1 - 3 of 3 Posts