Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed my birds seems lost weight. I do not think they are ill or anything... but they are very picky about seeds they eat... I use a mixture of pigeon feed, wihch are 6 kinds of seeds...

at beginning, they finish all. now they only eat 2 of 6 variation, left the rest seed, and make big mess.

I tried to strave them and force them to eat the rest up.. but only did one day and I feel so guilty.. so I give up.

I think they become so picky, they only eat their favorite seeds, so how can I get them fatten up?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I feed the corn as well, but the left corn out.... sunflower seed they do not like neither, as I use black sunflower seed, I do not know how to sheild them.

peanut as well, I have break it to up as well.

what annoyed me is, they used to eat everything, now they only eat 2 kinds of seeds

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I would say that you are over feeding them, or they are ill. I bought a feeder that is harder to scatter seed around, so very little is thrown, and I feed in the morning and leave it with them all day. Later in the day, the seed has gone down, and I will add a bit more. I pick it up at the end of the day. I never leave it out over night. If there is still enough there in the afternoon, and they are being picky, I don't add more. When I go back to clean up for the night, it is gone. If you are going to keep giving them more of what they like, then they will never eat the other stuff. Why would they? Even the sparrows out in the yard will pick through the feed to get the millet that they prefer. After a couple of days, all that is left is the finely ground corn. I figure if they are hungry enough, they will eat it. I don't add more. By the end of the next day, the corn has been eaten. They're like kids and would rather have the desert. If you keep giving it to them, then that is all they will eat. If they are loosing weight, rather than eating the other seeds, then they are probably ill. If they are hungry, they will eat it.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do not think they are ill, they are very active, just slight slim then before.. I think it is because they are so picky, they only eat what they like and picky, like a kid only eat what he like, then gradually will lose weight.

I just do not have the heart to starve them to force them to eat all the leftover

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
If your children wouldn't eat their veggies, would you then give them more french fries to fill them up so that they wouldn't be hungry? Or would they have to learn to eat other things?

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I do not think they are ill, they are very active, just slight slim then before.. I think it is because they are so picky, they only eat what they like and picky, like a kid only eat what he like, then gradually will lose weight.

I just do not have the heart to starve them to force them to eat all the leftover
If you can not leave the feed that is left after they eat their favorites, and Not add more untill they eat it, then you will continue to have the problem. You just need to either do it, or not. It is up tO you.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Believe me you wouldn't be starving them. They aren't stupid. Give them more credit. They will eat before they will starve. What you are teaching them is that if they wait, you will bring them more of the french fries. SW is right, it's up to you.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
When Mine started picking only their favorite seed I would take the seed they left and dumped it to the wild birds. They realized real fast they needed to finish their dinner otherwise their bellies went to bed a little empty

1 - 14 of 14 Posts