Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

My son and I keep a few fancy pigeons modena's and kings and its our first year.

One of our modena has a possible broken foot or a leg, where by he raises it and balances on one foot. his foot normaly is raised and when he flys the foot can be seen as limp.

Currently he is in nest box lying there refusing to move around, but at times he does come out to feed with his partner. each evening I force feed him and make sure he has water.

I plan to post some pictures later this evening (uk time).

I've felt his leg and foot but i can't find an obvious breaks or twists. What am i looking for?

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
Drawings:

http://people.eku.edu/ritchisong/skeleton.html

Those can be tricky to find, sometimes, but essentially you're looking to make sure each bone segment is solid from end to end. A broken tarsometatarsus is easy to see, so you'd probably be more worried about a broken tibiotarsus that's up in the feathers or maybe too near the joint of the tibiotarsus to the tarsometatarsus and it's fooling you.

In any case, you can roll up a towel into a donut that the bird can settle into the middle of in such a way as to take any pressure off of the leg easily. Sometimes, you can bring them in the house and treat them like the Queen of Sheba with food and water right in front of them and they'll behave pretty well. About the only thing they'll stand up to do is poop and if you dutifully keep that cleaned up and then gently put them back down, they can learn to take it real easy and heal up just like that.

Otherwise, you sometimes have to clip the feathers of the leg closely with scissors and use masking tape to immobilize the leg as shown here:

...and it might come out looking like this:

The break on this bird was high enough on the tibiotarsus that I extended the tape up and over the back to help it immobilize it--otherwise, following the drawings above wouldn't have gone high enough to actually do the job. I clipped all the feathers short where the tape went, too.

Pidgey

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I've felt his leg and foot but i can't find an obvious breaks or twists. What am i looking for?

Try some REALLY GENTLE squeeze on the leg, but do not over do it, once it twitch for pain then you found where it's located....

Pidgey got a good and grea advice...The way I did my hen with a broken leg is, I used a piece of straw and wrap it around the leg and just put a tape or maybe now I can start using band-aid as a tape to hold the straw...The bird might walk funny but it will guarantee it'll heal...Hope he/she will get well soon...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts