Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine had a fairly tame pigeon show up at her home and she started feeding it so it stayed. After a couple of weeks she wanted it gone so I agreed to take it. I have a rather large cage with a roof on it and a hutch type enclosure inside with straw in it. I went and bought pigeon feed and grit (that just looks like small rock pieces). Since he was used to being free I felt guilty and let him out and he immediately flew the 5 miles back to her home. My first question is there a way without keeping him caged that he will eventually stay here? Another question is it cruel to have him alone without another bird? I don't know if this matters but the pigeon is white with gray and black on his wings and tail. He is also getting bare spots on his face and neck and I see him pecking at himself. I don't know if that is just grooming. He isn't tame enough yet or used to us that he would let us pick him up. I really want to help this bird but I have never had a pigeon before and I really don't want him caged up and she doesn't want him back there. Help!

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Are you keeping him indoors? You can keep him inside in a cage out of any air drafts, but outside he needs more protection. If he is going to be outside any openings to the world outside need to be smaller then 1/4 inch, hardware cloth is best. He needs a solid floor and flat perches. Pigeons like fresh air but need to have access to staying dry in the confines of the coop. If the straw gets wet or pooped on it can cause serious health issues. An off- the-floor hutch is a good idea. Access to sunlight is extremely important for his wellbeing, and pigeons do like to take baths.

Don't let him out by himself as he is a sitting duck for a hawk attack, pigeons are safer flying in numbers. He probably will not rehome at your place, it is possible but never certain. Build him an aviary to fly in, or allow him to fly inside an empty room for an hour a day. You can get him a friend or two, because pigeons are very social creatures and are happy and secure around others.

You can go to the RESOURCE section in the DAILY forum and get more info on pigeon care.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He was an outdoor free bird when he showed up at her home so I have him outdoors. The cage used to be a large bunny cage but my husband had added a hutch in it. The bottom floor is a small thick wire but there is a large area above the hutch that goes all the way across the cage that is wood. He can get on top of that or under it. My goal is to leave that door open so he can get to the shelter, food, water, etc. but to let him fly free like he was at her house. It isn't my intention to raise them I just wanted to help my friend by taking him and help him by giving him a place that he would be cared for. He had only been at her home for several weeks.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Where are you located? If you have really bad winters, I would bring him in for the winter. Then in the summer if you want him in the hutch I'm sure he would think of this as his home and you could try it again. But like Trees gray said, he is a sitting duck if you let him fly by himself. They make wonderful pets, and if you try to catch him in the dark it will less stressful on him. He might have been molting is the reason for some bare spots. Did you go get the bird again once it flew back to your friend? mindy

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
does he have a band? if so you need to look up his band info, if not, then he needs a home, which you are willing to give. pigeons are not happy alone, in a hutch, they do like to be with other pigeons if they can not be kept in the house with you to be his social partner. can you post a pic of him/her, he may be a homer pigeon that has lost his way, you may never beable to let him fly free as he may try to go back "home" or where he thinks is home, so if you are unable to let him fly free do you still want to keep him? homers that have been flown before have a very good chance of not staying around, that is why they are called homers because they go back to the place they call home. If he is a homer, the ultimate would be for him to have the hutch with a partner and a fly pen for exercise. he could be killed by a hawk easy being flown by himself, a flock of homers, have a defense in that they flock up and fly high away from the bird of prey..so safety in numbers, a lone pigeon is a quick meal for a hawk, Im sorry to say.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Veneta, from what you wrote, this pigeon was "an outdoor free bird when he showed up at" your friends home. Is that right? You said your friend started feeding him and that this is why he stayed. Were there any other pigeons coming with him to your friens home? Did she prevent him from leaving with the others to where they live and nest? All of the wild pigeons I ever come in contact with, come to eat but they go where their home is when they are finished. My point is that if this individual was a free feral pigeon, surviving on his own with others of his kind to keep her/him in a cage all his life is not very cool. For a creature whose nature is to be free and fly, keeping him in cage is an equivalent to keeping someone in a physical restraint. I think he is being very clear about what he wants to do. If your friend does not want to feed him, then she should let him go to find his own food and go his own way. If I understand you correctly then this is how I feel about this very strongly. Why try to force him to live where you want him to live, the way you want him to live? By the way, is there any other pigeons that come around where you live?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Ante Bozanich, I totally agree. Everyone has posted some great questions. I hope Veneta will answer. For my info... if the friend just stopped feeding, wouldn't this pigeon find another home/restaurant? (providing it doesn't get eaten first).

I don't understand the friends reason to start feeding and then decide to quit feeding, but I just went through something similar with my daughter-in-law. She is a wonderful person and loves birds. Now that they have their own house, she couldn't wait to hang out bird and squirrel feeders. I cautioned them, before you start this, make sure you can keep it up. These critters will get dependent on you.

·
Registered
864 Posts
if this was a baby and it grew up with u , yeah i would keep him
but i would never , and i say never try to catch a feral pigeon, either he be alone or with the flock just so i can have a pet
let him go, he is going to be fine.
if he likes it he will come back to get the food, if he dont then he will find it somewhee with his flock
it is not fair to him to be caged
how would u feel if someone caged u now and gave u food, good food
it is not all about the food
let the pigeon go. he was born free and thats how it should stay
i dont think your friend had a right to catch him, he trusted her and she caged him
wow
thats all i can say
i hope u do what its best for the pigeon and that is to be free

1 - 9 of 9 Posts