Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question about the K factor and Universal Time. I race in Metro Detroit and this past Saturday we had a race and many lost birds. I trained that day and my birds went 44 miles and had no problem but others that trained at over 100 or raced from VanBurren IN at 185 miles had heavy losses. The chart for the K factor on that day indicates 5-6 at the mid point in Universal time. What time would that be Eastern Standard and what station is closest to Detroit Fredricksburg or College?

·
Registered
770 Posts
I'm not sure how to answer your questions per se, but I do look at K Factor when I'm tossing my birds. If it's a four, I think hard about not sending them and anything higher, I keep them in.

I have an app on my phone that I can check the K Factor and it sends me alerts when it gets too high.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Universal Time from the K factor chart

I would like to know how the Universal time from the chart relates to Eastern Standard time. If I am training pigeons I would think I do not care what the K factor is from midnight to 6 AM. If the K factor is over 4 from 7 AM to 3 PM that would be a concern.

Does anyone know what the time is from the K factor chart?

·
Registered
727 Posts
I would like to know how the Universal time from the chart relates to Eastern Standard time. If I am training pigeons I would think I do not care what the K factor is from midnight to 6 AM. If the K factor is over 4 from 7 AM to 3 PM that would be a concern.

Does anyone know what the time is from the K factor chart?
I took this chart from a website. I can't find the link now, but think this contains the information you need. The chart shows two times for each of the continental time zones. One is for daylight savings the other is for standard times. It depends on the time of year as to how much time is subtracted for the US time zones.

Coordinated Universal Time (UTC)
To translate UTC into your local time, use the following table:
United States
|Atlantic Daylight Time|>. subtract 3 hours from UTC|
|Atlantic Standard Time|>. subtract 4 hours from UTC|
|Eastern Daylight Time|>. subtract 4 hours from UTC|
|Eastern Standard Time|>. subtract 5 hours from UTC|
|Central Daylight Time|>. subtract 5 hours from UTC|
|Central Standard Time|>. subtract 6 hours from UTC|
|Mountain Daylight Time|>. subtract 6 hours from UTC|
|Mountain Standard Time|>. subtract 7 hours from UTC|
|Pacific Daylight Time|>. subtract 7 hours from UTC|
|Pacific Standard Time|>. subtract 8 hours from UTC|
|Alaska Daylight Time|>. subtract 8 hours from UTC|
|Alaska Standard Time|>. subtract 9 hours from UTC|
|Hawaii-Aleutian Standard Time|>. subtract 10 hours from UTC|
|Samoa Standard Time|>. subtract 11 hours from UTC|

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
K Factor Universal time

If you look at the example from the link on August 10th.

1st 3 hours K-3 UT Midnight - 3 AM
2nd 3 hours K-3 UT 3 AM - 6 AM
3rd 3 hours K-4 UT 6 AM - 9 AM Eastern Daylight Time 2 - 5 AM
4th 3 hour K-4 UT 9 AM - Noon Eastern Daylight Time 5 - 8 AM
5th 3 hour K-2 UT Noon - 3 PM Eastern Daylight Time 8 - 11 AM

So if I am reading the chart correctly if I want to train my pigeons on the morning of August 10th and I do not want the K factor to be a problem I would release my birds after 8 AM. When the K factor has dropped to 2. Is that how you read the chart?

I don't know if I am a big believer in the K factor but have lost pigeons from spots that I have released them from a few times with not problem and all other conditions the same.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I think you calculated the time correctly for the East coast daylight savings.

I am not sure how that helps to know when to train because I haven't found a site that predicts the K factor in advance.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
OK guys what is the k factor? I'm a newbie and never heard of it.
Not sure of all who use it and for what. Ham radio operators who use the HF bands find it useful in determining which hf band might be the most useful for world wide communications. In this example the higher the K number the worse conditions will be on all bands. And instead of talking around the world they will be limited to local contacts.

I'm guessing that pigeon fliers figure that since the birds can use the earth's magnetic field for navigation if there is a notable flux in that field the birds will become disoriented. This idea gets reinforced when pigeons come into contact with a natural magnetic anomaly and wind up flying around and around it in a circle seemingly lost.

You might find www.spaceweather.com useful.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I should have added this earlier. Here is a link to a program I use everyday to give you information about the K factor and geomagnetic flux as well as other solar information. It requires a second program be added for it to work. As I recall the newest second program which is furnished by the US government set off my anti-virus program. I installed the next newer one without any problems.

http://www.dxatlas.com/ionoprobe/

enjoy

·
Registered
727 Posts
I don't understand. If the K factor is influenced by the sun what difference does it make where we are at. We all use the same sun.
Activity on the sun is not constant. The effects of events like solar flares take an average of 98 hours to reach the earth. All parts of the earth are not going to be affected the same by these events as some parts will be facing the sun when the impact occurs and some will not face the sun until the impact is over or minimized.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm not sure how to answer your questions per se, but I do look at K Factor when I'm tossing my birds. If it's a four, I think hard about not sending them and anything higher, I keep them in.

I have an app on my phone that I can check the K Factor and it sends me alerts when it gets too high.
Can you tell me the name of your app?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts