Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So within the last few weeks ive had some changes to my pigeon keeping 'plan'....as stated in a previous post I unexpectedly acquired two 11 day old baby homers who had been orphaned. Within the next week I was really happy to hatch my first baby pigeons EVER- 2 german owls. So with the four homers and pair of German Owls I already had, plus the 2 orphaned babies, plus the two new babies from the GO's...I now have 8 birds. This is probably the most birds I would personally want in a loft my size. (6'x4') its hutch style so Its 6'wide by 4' deep + 4x4 settling cage.... what is the best way to set up my loft to discourage further breeding...right now theres boxes in the loft which I know are going to encourage breeding....should i strictly have T perches or V perches etc?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
unfortunately i cant separate the males and females . If they lay eggs and i replace them with fake ones how long will they sit on them for? Will using only t perches discourage breeding or will they breed anyway? Would installing one long shelf perch along the back wall of the 'hutch' work too?

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
unfortunately i cant separate the males and females .* If they lay eggs and i replace them with fake ones how long will they sit on them for? Will using only t perches discourage breeding or will they breed anyway? **Would installing one long shelf perch along the back wall of the 'hutch' work too?
* They may sit on them for 18 days or less or not at all, which is bad for the hens. It is best not to allow them to breed all year, it is bad for the hens as they are depleted of calcium and they are not meant to lay eggs all year long.

**It may discourage them temporarily, but once they mature and mate they will find a place on the ground to nest, which develops into bad habits.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
They will breed anyway. You're gonna need fake eggs. They should sit on them for the 18 or around there.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
and then they lose interest?
Also the german owls are in their own hutch bc they got too aggressive once they started breeding...whats the best way to introduce them and the babies back into the loft when the time comes ( thanks for all your knowledge )

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
That's true. I had one hen who always knew, but most don't, and for whatever time they sit on them at least gives her a break from laying. And it's better than letting them keep breeding.
That or boil the eggs, let them cool and return them.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Question that may help him and other ppl out... my daughter got some candy from one of those quarter machines and it was one of those plastic eggs u pop open and it has the candy inside. I noticed these feel more like the real thing other then the fact that they crack open and are pink, green, blue watever color.

If u glue them shut and maybe paint them white u think they would make better fake eggs? Just a thought.

To the OP, to me fake eggs are best...if tht doesnt work see above.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
If you don't separate them or put fake eggs under them they WILL breed them selves to death . that is both the cocks and hens . feeding the young takes a lot out of the birds and if you don't give them a break there health will suffer .
A friend of mine had a cock bird that they did not give him a break he lost almost all of his feathers it looked terrible ( it was not the molt ). I convinced him to separate him and now he looks great .

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
can someone please tell me the best way to re-introduce my german owl pair and their young back into the loft? ( since in a very short time it will be time to take them out of the breeding hutch) Also as stated in a previous post I am hand raising two orphaned homers...at age will THEY be ready to go into the loft? I know the newcomers usually get bullied a little so at what age can they handle this> ( i currently only have 4 adult birds in the loft )

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I just bring them in and watch to make sure they aren't bullied too much. Things usually work out. How big is your loft?
The baby homers can probably go in at about 5 or 6 weeks. Or there enough perches for everyone? Nest boxes?

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
what I did with my hand raised youngins was put them in a large cage in the loft for a week or so...then let them out on a day Iam home to watch, I find when they are old enough to fly up well and have some strength they can get out of the way of a bully. as far as the owls go.. it is best to keep everyone in the loft all the time if you can.. they settle as a flock that way and know who is who.. when taking out some and putting back some there will be scuffles on those occasions and it is stressful.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Well as I can walk into mine, I just bring them out to visit a few times. That gives me time to watch and make sure they're okay out there, and make sure that an aggressive male isn't going to bother them. If you can't get inside easily if they are being bullied, then sw suggestion of placing them in a cage for a week may be easier. This gives everyone time to get used to each other somewhat. Let us know how it all goes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts