Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I read on how hard it was to sex doves I thought there is no way I will find someone to find me a male and female right off the bat. But this young man at the bird farm picked me out a male and female, well I pointed out who I wanted then he checked. He said the males have an angular hip area, as with the females, they have a smooth hip area.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
"Many fanciers utilize the sexing of the Ringnecks by doing the "pelvic bone" test. The bird is held upright & your index finger is run up between the legs to the vent area. For a male the two bones should be stiff, pointed & almost touching each other at the tips. In females the pelvic bones should be more curved, spongy, rounded at the tip & your finger should almost fit between the ends. This is not 100 %, as either scenario can be found on either sex." quote from ring neck dove site.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nancy do you know a young man named Phillip? He on;y works on Saturdays. I was in there on Wednesday and the doves inside are sitting on eggs. Oh, they are so cute.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
No I don't think I know Phillip.I ended up with 2 hens when I wanted a pair.I am very happy with my 2 hens anyways.This is my 2nd time buying from them.My 1st doves from the bird farm lived to be 23yrs old.

·
Registered
164 Posts
"Many fanciers utilize the sexing of the Ringnecks by doing the "pelvic bone" test. The bird is held upright & your index finger is run up between the legs to the vent area. For a male the two bones should be stiff, pointed & almost touching each other at the tips. In females the pelvic bones should be more curved, spongy, rounded at the tip & your finger should almost fit between the ends. This is not 100 %, as either scenario can be found on either sex." quote from ring neck dove site.
I can second this statement. It has worked for me about 95% of the time when trying to figure out who is who and what is what. You have to wait until they've lost all their fuzzies and start to get the iridescence in their necks in though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts