Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i have a question, how do you ship pigeons? Do i use ups, FedEx, usps, or some other postal service? Where can i get a special box for them?
please tell me everything about shipping birds thanks :)

·
Registered
822 Posts
They must get shipped through the USPS Express Mail.You must use USPS approved boxes.You can get them from Boxesforbirds.com....The size/cost depends on how many and what breed that you're shipping.Check with your local PO as they may give you a phone # to call so they can check and make sure there is service from your zip code to destination.If you tell me how many,where to/from & what breed birds you're shipping,I'll be able to tell you what box to get and app. postage cost. Ted

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
They must get shipped through the USPS Express Mail.You must use USPS approved boxes.You can get them from Boxesforbirds.com....The size/cost depends on how many and what breed that you're shipping.Check with your local PO as they may give you a phone # to call so they can check and make sure there is service from your zip code to destination.If you tell me how many,where to/from & what breed birds you're shipping,I'll be able to tell you what box to get and app. postage cost. Ted
If you go to USPS.com, you can use their shipping calculator to find the cost and see the arrival time. Express mail delivery is guaranteed in one or two days depending on the sipping points. If you purchase the postage online, it is usually cheaper than paying at the post office. Make sure you only ship on a Monday or Tuesday, and its not a good idea to ship in a week when there is a holiday. Doing so allows for extra time if the birds don't get delivered in the first day or two. If you ship on Thursday and the shipment gets delayed, the birds could be sitting in a shipping container on the tarmac of some airport over the weekend.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i will be shipping 2, mature Uzbek tumbkers, i will be shipping to area code 46514, thanks allot :)

·
Registered
254 Posts
Also The Tempertures At The Shipping End And Recieveing End Mst Be Under 85 Degrees . Have Had Birds Shipped To Me And Been Very Hot When Opened The Box. So If You Can Wait Til It Gets Much Cooler . Shipped Birds To Alaska Same Day Sent One To Calif. Birds Were In Alaska At The New Owners Loft The Next Morning . Bird To Calif. Was There The Following Morning. So Shipping Is Not Exact On Time .

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you go to USPS.com, you can use their shipping calculator to find the cost and see the arrival time. Express mail delivery is guaranteed in one or two days depending on the sipping points. If you purchase the postage online, it is usually cheaper than paying at the post office. Make sure you only ship on a Monday or Tuesday, and its not a good idea to ship in a week when there is a holiday. Doing so allows for extra time if the birds don't get delivered in the first day or two. If you ship on Thursday and the shipment gets delayed, the birds could be sitting in a shipping container on the tarmac of some airport over the weekend.
Thank you :)

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
when you get your box make sure you tape it good and use wire ties to close the shipping box, you must take the box to the Po for actuall shipping costs..
Not so. Shipping costs can be calculated at the link I provided above, and as I stated earlier, you can purchase the shipping online, saving money over purchasing at the post office. Go to the link and check it out. As long as you have the dimensions and the weight, you can do it all online, including printing your shipping label.

The only thing I would suggest if you pay online, is ask the PO to scan in and hand-cancel the package immediately when you drop it off. Once when I shipped birds, I dropped the box off at 10:00am, and it didn't get into the USPS tracking system until 4:50pm.

For most approved shipping boxes, no tape is necessary. The top can be closed securely using the wire ties they include with the box.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts