Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thinking of having some tipplers can i just keep a pair or trio of birds can they all be same sex dont want to breed just look after them and fly any help would be great coop to be 4ft high 3ft width 2ft depth thank you for reading

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
In a loft that size the most you would want to keep is 3 birds at most to be honest. You would want them to be 3 hens if your keeping 3 birds. Only way its going to work without breeding. 3 cocks in a small loft like that is just asking for trouble, even 2. If you get adult birds, they need to have been flown before. Dont get them from someone who keeps them locked up. A member recently told us that if they dont fly at an early age they will most likely not have a desire to fly at all. Can't say its 100% true because i got acouple adults that were like that but still fly. One does not he flys very little and will brake kite. If you get adults i would recommend 2 or 3 weeks having them in the loft and feeding them once a day in the evenings and shaking a can of screws or blowing a whistle before you give the food and for atleast 30 seconds as they eat. Then when you do yet them out do it in the evening an hour or 2 before sunset for a couple days. You also need to trap train them if they can not see outside the loft. Otherwise you can get away with not trap training them and seeing if they can figure it out the first time out. If they dont, dont go around them and they will probably just land on top of the loft. Then you have to wait till it is good and dark and grab them and trap train them. If you get young birds 1-3 months old they could probably be fine with just a week or 2 in before going out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts