Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been taking care of my 2nd pigeon since it was bald, it's been around 40+ days now. I remembered last year when I rescued my first pigeon, around this time it had already kept flapping it's wings and hopping around, around the 50th day it had flown away. But for this 2nd pigeon of mine this year, it just sits around and stare and me and beep beep beep, I tried encouraging it to fly but it seems that it doesn't follow up. Are there any tricks to "teach" it to fly. :confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
499 Posts
flying-squab.??

I've been taking care of my 2nd pigeon since it was bald, it's been around 40+ days now. I remembered last year when I rescued my first pigeon, around this time it had already kept flapping it's wings and hopping around, around the 50th day it had flown away. But for this 2nd pigeon of mine this year, it just sits around and stare and me and beep beep beep, I tried encouraging it to fly but it seems that it doesn't follow up. Are there any tricks to "teach" it to fly. :confused::confused::confused:
dear pidgeyy,-squabs donot fly.--the age is very important,[fully developed]-30+days from hatching-even then they-do- the cheap/cheap-and parents may even feed after 30 days-if not on a couple new eggs.-they gradually lose the cheap/cheap-and coo-and become part of the flock.-I hope this info is helpful,-but what I think your asking requires flight,like the movie whereas a guy in Canada raised a flock of Canadian geese,and using an ultra light taught them to fly.--true story,-relocated them as migratory geese.:D

·
Registered
6,745 Posts
As mentioned, age is terribly important. When i rescued a baby crow from a cat, when he started to flap his wings, when he was older and ready, would gently lower him downward so he would flap more, and he learned to fly after a couple of days. I took him outside to see mom and dad every day, and they would come visit with him. Finally he flew off with them, a sad and happy day.

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
He will eventually learn to fly. First he will start flying downward (easier for them) and then eventually upward. Is he getting enough calcium? What did you raise him on?

Remember when you release them: they don't know where to find food out there. Releasing is much more difficult than raising. He will need to spend time outside to get used to the area and will need a back up supply of food after being released. He sounds very tame, hope you will rather keep him.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts