Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering how long before the first race most of you start loft flying and training birds? Our first race is March 30, so I started letting them out Feb 1st. I hope to start road training March 1st, is this too long before the season starts? I just want to have them ready in time, last year my job and weather didn't allow me to train the way I wanted so I'm starting early this year. How long can you keep a bird in shape for Old bird's?

·
Registered
306 Posts
No, you should be fine as long as you can start getting them on training tosses by 3rd week of February.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
This is your first year, that means they are yearlings? If so they need more training, if you had an experienced team they need less.
Dave

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Yes Air Miles....And if you have only yearlings,which were NOT flown as YB`s,they need alot more training...If you raced them last year,8 tosses should be good....You can do more if you want,but after 8 tosses of 45/50 miles,you can go 30 miles everyday if the weather is good...30 miles is a peice of cake for OB`s.....Good Luck.....Alamo

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Mine have been out most of this month at least once a day. I plan to start training when March starts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts