Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I have a pet pigeon I rescued a little over a year ago. We enjoy each other's company and I love to let him get his exercise around the house but I hate the poop. I've tried numerous times now to have him wear pigeon pants/diapers and he hates them since he doesn't like being handled. He thinks something is touching his back, which makes him back up and begin spazzing about. I don't like stressing him out so he can only do minutes at a time. He's perfectly fine as soon as they're removed. I always make sure none of his feathers are being pulled and the pants themselves are also the proper size.

Is there any hope of ever getting him used to the pants? Or do I have to live with him pooping everywhere? Could anyone please give some tips?

· Registered
284 Posts
Hi all, I have a pet pigeon I rescued a little over a year ago. We enjoy each other's company and I love to let him get his exercise around the house but I hate the poop. I've tried numerous times now to have him wear pigeon pants/diapers and he hates them since he doesn't like being handled. He thinks something is touching his back, which makes him back up and begin spazzing about. I don't like stressing him out so he can only do minutes at a time. He's perfectly fine as soon as they're removed. I always make sure none of his feathers are being pulled and the pants themselves are also the proper size.

Is there any hope of ever getting him used to the pants? Or do I have to live with him pooping everywhere? Could anyone please give some tips?
I would love to hear other’s experiences with this too.

My research and experience
It takes time and consistency. I am currently training one of mine to do this too.

Since you already have a relationship with him that’s great and the 1st start. As it is recommended to have at least 6 months of trust before trying or just a really great bond.

The next step is to do small incremental wears. So if it’s only 5 minutes, it’s only 5minutes. You progressively add on time to being worn. Most will get over it about 2 weeks .

There are some that will always fight you but will tolerate wearing it once its on.

There are some that never get used to it.

most of them don’t LIKE wearing the pigeon pants. It’s something you just make them get used to like a dog wearing a collar, halter, or leash. Except this suit typically covers most of their body.

One thing I have noticed about my pigeon is she likes some better than others as I have different styles of pants. The ones with the buttons make her back upThe ones with the very light velcro and adjustable shoulder straps she tolerates.

· Registered
I have some American fantails, indian fantails, 1 Portuguese tumbler, 1 old English owl, and 3 mixed
28 Posts
Pigeon pants/ diapers?! That's amazing. I never even knew such a thing existed. The marvels of modern technology

It takes time and consistency. I am currently training one of mine to do this too.

Since you already have a relationship with him that’s great and the 1st start. As it is recommended to have at least 6 months of trust before trying or just a really great bond.

The next step is to do small incremental wears. So if it’s only 5 minutes, it’s only 5minutes. You progressively add on time to being worn. Most will get over it about 2 weeks .

There are some that will always fight you but will tolerate wearing it once its on.

most of them don’t LIKE wearing the pigeon pants. It’s something you just make them get used to like a dog wearing a collar, halter, or leash. Except this suit typically covers most of their body.

One thing I have noticed about my pigeon is she likes some better than others as I have different styles of pants. The ones with the buttons make her back upThe ones with the very light velcro and adjustable shoulder straps she tolerates.

Can you please show a picture of this amazing thing? I'm surprised to learn about this

1 - 7 of 7 Posts